Libya on brink of civil war: MedvedevMarch 4th, 2011 - 12:13 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Libya is fast moving towards civil war, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said.
“Libya has been and is on the brink of a civil war, and our task was to save the lives of our citizens (there),” Medvedev said during a meeting with Emergency Situations Minister Sergei Shoigu.
“A complete disintegration in state governance usually occurs during such events, which is what we have seen in Libya,” he said.
Russia Wednesday completed the evacuation of its citizens from the North African country, where at least 2,000 people have been killed in violent clashes between troops loyal to long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi and protesters.
“This was a large-scale and complicated operation,” Medvedev said, referring to the evacuation.
The Russian embassy in Tripoli said Russia has evacuated 520 Russians and 593 foreign nationals from Libya.
The unrest in Libya began Feb 14, following the ouster of regimes in Tunisia and Egypt. Libyans are demanding an end to Gaddafi’s 42-year rule.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague Thursday opened a probe into the role of Gaddafi and his top aides in atrocities allegedly committed in the crackdown on protesters.
- Russia to ensure its two nationals' return from Libya - May 01, 2012
- Arab world turmoil: Libya tense, sectarian clashes in Bahrain (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
- Russia, China to cooperate on Middle East, North Africa - May 06, 2011
- Russia cancels evacuation flight to Libya - Mar 26, 2011
- Third Russian plane heads to Yemen for evacuation - Jun 14, 2011
- `Unrest in Middle East threatens Russia's oil interests' - Apr 06, 2011
- NATO strikes on Libya amount to land operation: Moscow - Jun 04, 2011
- Nicaragua denies receiving asylum request from Gaddafi - Mar 04, 2011
- No instructions for UNSC meet on Libya: Medvedev's aide - Apr 27, 2011
- Moscow working to release Russians detained in Libya - Sep 16, 2011
- Russian presidential envoy ready to meet Gaddafi - Jun 08, 2011
- Russia lifts embargo on arms supplies to Libya - May 08, 2012
- Russian foreign minister visits India Monday - Nov 29, 2010
- US, France, Britain want Russia to mediate in Libya: Kremlin - May 27, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
Tags: atrocities, brink, crackdown, disintegration, dmitry medvedev, emergency situations, feb 14, foreign nationals, hague, international criminal court, libyans, muammar gaddafi, ouster, ria novosti, russian embassy, russian president, state governance, time leader, tripoli, violent clashes