Libya declares ceasefire in line with UN resolutionMarch 18th, 2011 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Tripoli, March 18 (IANS) Libyan authorities Friday decided to halt all military operations in line with a UN resolution that imposed a no-fly zone over the North African country, Xinhua cited an Al-Jazeera TV report as stating.
The announcement of a ceasefire came after the international community Friday began discussing all measures, including military action, against Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s forces to enforce a no-fly zone which was imposed by a UN security council vote Thursday.
The US and European officials said air attacks against Col. Gaddafi’s forces were possible “within hours”, according to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ).
The UN Security Council Thursday authorised a no-fly zone over Libya and called for other “necessary measures” to protect the civilians there.The resolution, however, excluded “an occupation force” in Libya. The resolution was adopted with 10 voting in favour and five abstentions, Xinhua reported.
On Thursday, the 15-member Security Council had voted 10-0 to authorise the no-fly zone in the north African country.
While India, China, Brazil, Germany and Russia abstained, the measure was backed by Bosnia, Colombia, France, Gabon, Lebanon, Nigeria, Portugal, South Africa, Britain and the US.
- Libya declares ceasefire, but sad over UN decision (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- After UN fly ban, world bracing 'all necessary measures' to protect Libyans (Third Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Fighter plane shot down, rebels evicted from Benghazi (Lead) - Mar 19, 2011
- Germany calls for tougher sanctions against Libya - Mar 24, 2011
- Fighter plane shot down in Libyan rebel-held town - Mar 19, 2011
- Obama rules out ground troops in Libya - Mar 19, 2011
- India abstains from Libya vote, fears it may worsen situation (Second Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- UN lifts no-fly zone over Libya - Oct 28, 2011
- No-fly zone: Libya thanks countries that abstained UN vote - Mar 18, 2011
- Gaddafi vows to fight till death - Jun 08, 2011
- India abstains from UN vote on Libya (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Russia backs NATO action in Libya - Aug 12, 2011
- UN Security Council authorizes no-fly zone over Libya (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- US dismisses Libya's proposal to hold elections - Jun 17, 2011
- Thousands celebrate in Benghazi as UN Security Council approves no-fly zone, airstrikes - Mar 18, 2011
Tags: al jazeera, al jazeera tv, ceasefire, european officials, fly zone, india china, libyan authorities, libyan leader muammar, libyan leader muammar gaddafi, member security council, military operations, muammar gaddafi, necessary measures, occupation force, tv report, un security council, un security council vote, wall street journal, wall street journal wsj, xinhua