LF seeks more steps for free and fair pollsApril 22nd, 2009 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 22 (IANS) Charging West Bengal’s opposition parties with trying to intimidate voters, the state’s ruling Left Front (LF) Wednesday said the Election Commission should initiate measures to create a congenial atmosphere for the polls.
“The conditions in the three sub-divisions of the Darjeeling Hills - Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Kurseong - are unfavourable for polls. The Election Commission needs to take adequate measures so that the people over there can exercise their voting rights properly,” Left Front chairman Biman Bose told reporters here.
He said of the 14 seats going to the polls in the first phase April 30, six are in the western part, where parties like the Trinamool Congress, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha and Maoist rebels were trying to scare people.
Bose said this should stop without further delay.
He said “some elements” were continuously scaring common people in West Midnapore district’s Lalgarh.
Terming the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the state’s main opposition Trinamool Congress as “evil forces” trying to divide the state, he added: “The LF criticises such acts.”
The BJP has joined hands with the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) for the Lok Sabha polls and BJP veteran leader Jaswant Singh is contesting from Darjeeling. The BJP has said it will sympathetically consider the GJM’s demand for creating a Gorkhaland state by carving out parts of West Bengal.
- Left Front blames Mamata government for Terai-Dooars violence - Apr 26, 2012
- LF renominates Tapan Sen as Rajya Sabha candidate (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- GJM offers support to Trinamool-Congress combine - Apr 02, 2011
- Darjeeling gearing up for assembly polls - Mar 26, 2011
- Our MLAs will resign once they win Bengal polls: GJM - Apr 13, 2011
- Pro-Gorkhaland protest planned in Kolkata Feb 19 - Feb 16, 2011
- GJM supporters go on rampage in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Darjeeling votes peacefully in large numbers - Apr 18, 2011
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- GJM faces heat from rival parties for strong-arm tactics - Jul 07, 2012
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- Ghising, Tamang's wife giving tough fight to GJM - Apr 15, 2011
- Publish Darjeeling agreement, demands Left Front - Jun 09, 2011
- State not delaying Darjeeling talks: Narayanan - Feb 11, 2011
- Shutdown disrupts life in Darjeeling hills - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: adequate measures, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congenial atmosphere, darjeeling hills, election commission, evil forces, gjm, gorkha, jharkhand mukti morcha, kalimpong, kurseong, lok sabha polls, maoist rebels, midnapore district, mukti, opposition parties, trinamool congress, veteran leader, west bengal