‘Lets vote’ campaign launched in HyderabadDecember 14th, 2008 - 4:26 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 14 (IANS) The polling day is not a holiday to enjoy. Go out and cast your vote as a responsible citizen for the betterment of life around you. This was the message given by a group of eminent citizens of Hyderabad through a ‘Let’s vote’ campaign.Business leaders, professionals, and citizens from other walks of life gathered at KBR Park here Sunday to support the campaign organised by The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE), Hyderabad Chapter.
The campaign was aimed raising awareness among citizens to recognise and realise how important it is for each one of us to vote.
Holding placards calling upon citizens to use their right to franchise, the participants in the walk marched through the park, which is thronged every day by a large number of people from Banjara Hills, Jubliee Hills and other surrounding posh localities.
“Each one of us has a certain level of social responsibility and we hold significant stake in making the world around us better. This responsibility encompasses a number of things. One of the most important commitments among them is to vote,” said J.A. Chowdary, president, TiE Hyderabad.
TiE has invited the citizens to voluntarily come forward and participate and play an active role to strengthen the campaign.
“How do you expect things around you to change when you don’t cast your valuable vote. On voting days, most of us spend the time watching cricket matches on television,” said All England Badminton champion P. Gopichand.
Ramesh Babu, president elect of TiE Hyderabad Chapter, said the walk was first of the series of campaigns lined up in the coming days to build awareness among the educated masses of the society about the responsibility to vote as an equal stakeholder in a democratic society.
“Vote is is a powerful way to express our aspiration. It is our social responsibility and by engaging in it we can build faith in our decision to choose what makes our lives better,” he said.
The organisers will urge Hyderabad-based industries educate their employees to register for voting before Dec 31. They will educate existing voters who are employees in various organisations to exercise their voting right in the coming municipal and general elections.
They also announced the plans to share polling booths and directions on their website www.letsvote.in The campaign has set a goal to increase the voters in Hyderabad by five percent in the next five years.
Under the long term plans, the organisers want to take the campaign to other cities in India.
- LetsVote walk held in Hyderabad - Apr 05, 2009
- TiE announces awards for entrepreneurs - Aug 29, 2012
- Over 2,000 aspiring entrepreneurs to gather at TiE summit - Dec 19, 2010
- TiE turning immigrants into millionaires - May 18, 2011
- Groundswell of support for Anna Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- Hyderabad to host biggest corporate cycling event - Jan 23, 2012
- Indus Entrepreneurs to honour young entrepreneurs - Nov 03, 2010
- South Asian election commissioners exchanging best practices - Jan 21, 2011
- Huge turnout at drive to promote voting in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 25, 2012
- Anna Hazare says his struggle against corruption will continue - Apr 09, 2011
- City Museum depicting Hyderabad's history inaugurated - Mar 12, 2012
- Pak govt probing Transparency International's operations in country - Nov 21, 2010
- US urges Green Card holders to become citizens - May 27, 2011
- Gul Panag to launch 12-city marathon - Dec 23, 2011
- Transparency International won't be allowed to work in Pak: Malik - Nov 28, 2010