Lenin replaces Mahatma’s name in Tripura textbook: CongressApril 25th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 25 (IANS) The Congress Monday charged Tripura’s Left Front government with replacing the name of Mahatma Gandhi with that of Lenin in a chapter of a junior school textbook in the state and threatened protests if it was not restored.
“In a State Council of Educational Research and Training- (SCERT) prepared textbook for Class 5 in the current academic session, the names of Socrates, Abraham Lincoln, Karl Marx were kept and Lenin’s name inserted in place of Mahatma Gandhi,” Leader of Opposition Ratan Lal Nath told reporters here.
Threatening to initiate harsh action if the state government does not take corrective measures within seven days, Nath said when they have shown no disrespect to the two communist leaders Karl Marx and Lenin, “why does the Left Front government insult the Father of the Nation?”
“The entire world has been respectfully keen to know the life and ideology of Mahatma Gandhi. Is he not the most revered sons of world,” asked Nath.
He also alleged that the contents of the textbooks had “huge distortion” of facts relating to India for “brainwashing of the school students in line with Marxism”.
Nath wrote a letter to Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on the issue.
Meanwhile, a senior SCERT official Dilip Kumar Debbarma denied the charges.
“We did not erase the name of Mahatma Gandhi. His name and life sketch were detailed in a separate chapter of the same book. Mahatma’s biography was given with more elaboration in the book compared to previous years,” Debbarma told IANS.
- Tripura school book drops Mahatma, Congress plans fast - May 24, 2011
- Tripura to include more details on Mahatma in text books - May 25, 2011
- Trimming 'excess' of Marxism in favour of globalisation (West Bengal Newsletter) - Apr 08, 2012
- Marx and Engels not untouchables: Mamata - Apr 09, 2012
- Is Mamata trying to make Marx & Engels history in Bengal? - Apr 06, 2012
- Marx becoming relevant again: Tariq Ali - Apr 10, 2012
- Tripura villages witness rapid development - Apr 19, 2011
- Congress attacks CPI-M for using Christ portrait - Feb 03, 2012
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
- Communism digs in, with much memorabilia, in Punjab town (With Image) - Mar 19, 2010
- Tucked away in library, a slice of freedom struggle - Mar 24, 2011
- Gandhi, Akbar among world's top icons: Time (Lead, Changing dateline) - Feb 06, 2011
- Chinese city removes sex textbook from shelves - Sep 01, 2011
- E-textbooks knocking at Indian classroom doors - Feb 07, 2012
- Anna inspires sale of Vivekananda's books - Aug 22, 2011
Tags: abraham lincoln, academic session, agartala, brainwashing, chief minister, communist leaders, corrective measures, dilip kumar, disrespect, harsh action, karl marx, lal, leader of opposition, lenin, life sketch, mahatma gandhi, marxism, nath, sarkar, school textbook