Legislator brings used grenades to Kerala assemblyJune 18th, 2012 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 18 (IANS) Senior CPI-M legislator E.P. Jayarajan Monday created a flutter in the Kerala assembly and raised security concern when he presented two used grenades to the house while moving an adjournment motion over police brutality against students.
Trying to prove his point, Jayarajan showed the two grenades during his address to the house.
He accused police of using force against members of the CPI-M affiliated Students Federation of India (SFI) Thursday when they were protesting at an event in which Chief Minister Oommen Chandy was to take part.
Speaker G. Karthikeyan scolded the Communist Party of India-Marxist leader that the rules did not permit members to carry explosives or weapons into the house.
Karthikeyan directed Jayarajan to hand over the grenades to the security staff. The CPI-M leader obliged.
Replying to the adjournment motion, Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan asked the speaker to ensure that such incidents should not happen in the assembly and raised concern on the safety of its members.
“The speaker should see that this is confiscated and adequate steps are taken to see that such things are not repeated,” said Radhakrishnan.
- Protests against police firing rock Kerala assembly - Oct 11, 2011
- Kerala assembly stalled, opposition demands IUML member's arrest - Jun 12, 2012
- Kerala assembly restates stand on Mullaperiyar Dam - Dec 09, 2011
- Members almost come to blows in Kerala house - Jun 30, 2011
- 13th Kerala assembly session begins Wednesday - May 31, 2011
- Kerala house adjourned over murder controversy - Jun 13, 2012
- Karthikeyan to contest for Speaker's post - May 30, 2011
- Opposition files privilege notice against Chandy - Jun 04, 2011
- Denials, sobs over woman guard episode in Kerala assembly - Oct 14, 2011
- Kerala opposition demands Chandy's resignation - Sep 26, 2011
- Left disrupts Kerala assembly proceedings - Nov 03, 2011
- Two Kerala CPI-M legislators suspended amid bedlam - Oct 17, 2011
- Left protests Kerala legislators' suspension - Oct 18, 2011
- Steps taken to tackle spread of fever in Kerala: Chandy - Jun 21, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: adequate steps, adjournment motion, chief minister, communist party of india, CPI, explosives, grenades, home minister, legislator, marxist leader, police brutality, radhakrishnan, security concern, security staff, sfi, weapons