Legal proceedings against Gbagbo in Cote d’IvoireApril 12th, 2011 - 7:51 am ICT by IANS
Abidjan, April 12 (IANS) Alassane Ouattara, the internationally recognised president of Cote d’Ivoire, has said legal proceedings against the arrested ex-president Laurent Gbagbo, his wife and allies will be carried out, Xinhua said.
Ouattara, in a TV address, said a commission of truth and reconciliation will be created to look into the alleged killings of civilians by both sides during the power struggle.
He added that all measures are in place to protect Gbagbo.
Gbagbo was captured around mid-day Monday at his residence in a military assault by pro-Ouattara forces as well as UN and French troops in the country, after being holed up in a bunker for a week.
The development was seen as ending the months-long political deadlock in the west African country.
After the presidential run-off held Nov. 28 last year, Ouattara was declared winner by the electoral commission, but the result was annulled by the Constitutional Council, which instead declared Gbagbo as winner.
- Obama hails 'decisive turn of events' in Cote d'Ivoire - Apr 12, 2011
- UN, French helicopters attack Gbagbo's residence - Apr 11, 2011
- Heavy firing heard near Ivory Coast president's house - Apr 06, 2011
- Pro-president forces launch offensive in Cote d'Ivoire - Mar 13, 2011
- 66 Indians evacuated from Cote d'Ivoire - Apr 13, 2011
- India evacuates 44 more from Abidjan - Apr 18, 2011
- Toll in Ivorian post-election violence tops 1,000: UN - May 28, 2011
- Mass graves found in Cote d'Ivoire - May 10, 2011
- Obama welcomes end of Gbagbo's 'illegitimate claim to power' in Ivory Coast - Apr 12, 2011
- Fair trial for human rights violations in Cote d'Ivoire: UN - Apr 13, 2011
- Indian ambassador evacuated in Ivory Coast - Apr 08, 2011
- Former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo under house arrest - Apr 13, 2011
- India supports UN sanctions against Cote d'Ivoire - Mar 31, 2011
- U.S. imposes financial sanctions on former Côte D'Ivoire leader - Jan 07, 2011
- Ouattara supporters take control of Côte d'Ivoire embassy in Paris - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: abidjan, alassane ouattara, allies, civilians, constitutional council, cote d ivoire, electoral commission, french troops, killings, laurent gbagbo, legal proceedings, measures, mid day, military assault, political deadlock, power struggle, truth and reconciliation, tv address, xinhua