Left to decide Thursday on presidential candidateJune 17th, 2012 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 17 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) general secretary Prakash Karat Sunday said the Left parties will meet June 21 to decide on their candidate for the July 19 presidential election.
“We are meeting on June 21 and after that it will be known,” said Karat when asked whether they will support the candidature of Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee for the 13th president.
Karat arrived here to take part in a crucial meeting of the state unit of the CPI-M.
The election result will be declared on July 22. President Pratibha Patil’s term ends July 24.
The Congress-led ruling United Progressive Alliance has already declared Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee as its candiate.
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- CPI-M meet on president poll Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- CPI-M, Forward Bloc to back Pranab, CPI, RSP to skip poll (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Consult on president, CPI-M tells UPA - May 07, 2012
- Left says presidential candidate should be widely accepted - May 23, 2012
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
- Congress-Trinamool rift decided our stand: Karat - Jun 25, 2012
- Left parties divided over supporting Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
- Presidential poll divides left, right, centre - Jul 10, 2012
- Left in dilemma over support to Pranab - Jun 15, 2012
- Pranab will win with more than 70 percent votes: Chidambaram - Jun 27, 2012
- Left parties to discuss stand over presidential poll - Jun 21, 2012
- Pranab telephones Buddhadeb for support in presidential polls - Jun 14, 2012
- Presidential poll: Rift in NDA, Left may support Congress (Third Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Congress attacks Karat on Lokpal bill remark - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: 13th president, candiate, candidature, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress, CPI, election result, finance minister, general secretary, june 21, left parties, prakash karat, pranab mukherjee, president pratibha patil, presidential candidate, presidential election, progressive alliance