Left says presidential candidate should be widely acceptedMay 23rd, 2012 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Keeping their cards close to the chest, the Left parties Wednesday said selection of a candidate for the presidential election should be based on the widest possible acceptance.
“The Left parties reiterated their stand that there should be a candidate for the presidential election based on the widest possible acceptance,” a statement said after a meeting of the Left parties here.
P.A. Sangma, whose candidature for presidential polls has been backed by the Biju Janata Dal and AIADMK, Tuesday met Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Prakash Karat to seek the Left parties’ support.
CPI-M leaders have been saying they would articulate their position after the Congress officially names its presidential candidate.
They have not opposed the names of Vice President Hamid Ansari and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, doing the rounds as possible nominees of the Congress.
Apart from Karat, the meeting of Left parties was attended by CPI-M’s Sitaram Yechury and S. Ramachandran Pillai, Communist Party of India’s A.B. Bardhan, Sudhakar Reddy and D. Raja, Revolutionary Socialist Party’s T.J. Chandrachoodan and Abani Roy and Forward Bloc’s Debabrata Biswas and G. Devarajan.
- Left opposes hike in fuel prices - May 23, 2012
- CPI-M, Forward Bloc to back Pranab, CPI, RSP to skip poll (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Communist leaders to meet Chinese leaders Monday - Oct 30, 2010
- Left's stand on president after Congress announces candidate - May 22, 2012
- Sangma seeks support, not many takers (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Rajya Sabha candidates elected unopposed in Bengal - Jul 16, 2011
- Don't open multi-brand FDI in retail, PM told - Jul 22, 2012
- Each Left party to review poll reverses individually (Lead) - May 17, 2009
- N-liability bill to protect US suppliers: Left - Aug 19, 2010
- Left parties divided over supporting Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
- Forward Bloc questions Left's plan to attend Obama speech (Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Left meets PM, demands excess food be distributed - Aug 04, 2012
- Fuel price hike a cruel blow on the people: Left - Jun 25, 2010
- Karat, Bardhan court arrest against price rise (Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Presidential poll: Jayalalithaa garners support for Sangma - May 20, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, bardhan, biju, biswas, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, debabrata, devarajan, doing the rounds, finance minister, hamid ansari, left parties, pillai, prakash, pranab mukherjee, presidential polls, ramachandran, revolutionary socialist party, sitaram yechury, sudhakar