Left parties call for ‘black day’ to protest n dealOctober 2nd, 2008 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 2 (IANS) The Left parties will observe a ‘black day’ Saturday to signal their protest against the India-US civil nuclear deal, which was Thursday cleared by the US Senate with a resounding 86-13 majority.US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is expected to arrive in New Delhi Saturday to sign the nuclear deal, over which the Left parties had withdrawn support to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s government.
“We will observe Oct 4, the day US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice arrives in New Delhi to sign the India-US civil nuclear deal, as black day and will protest the surrender to US imperialism,” said Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Nilotpal Basu.
A Vijayraghavan, the party’s central secretariat member and chief whip in the Rajya Sabha, said Prime Minister Singh had damaged parliamentary procedures and neglected the sentiments of people.
“The US has succeeded in clearing every democratic procedure in haste to finalise the deal which ultimately favours them but Manmohan Singh has undermined our parliamentary democratic set up and neglected the sentiments of the people,” he said.
- Congress hails nuclear deal, opposition screams surrender - Oct 02, 2008
- Congress hails historic n-deal, BJP vows to renegotiate it (Lead) - Oct 02, 2008
- Condoleezza Rice breaks into all-male US golf club - Aug 21, 2012
- No bribery during 2008 trust vote, says PM - Mar 23, 2011
- Left parties to nark Rice's India visit with 'black day' - Sep 30, 2008
- Mannmohan, Obama to meet in Bali Friday, n-deal on agenda - Nov 16, 2011
- Ahead of Obama meeting, PM says n-liability rules soon - Nov 13, 2011
- Obama hopes for speedy passage of Nuclear Liability Bill - Apr 12, 2010
- Clinton meets PM - May 07, 2012
- Advani hasn't denied expose on BJP: Yashwant Sinha - Mar 23, 2011
- N-liability bill tabled in Lok Sabha, opposition walks out (Roundup) - May 07, 2010
- PM arrives in Moscow for India-Russia summit - Dec 15, 2011
- WikiLeaks exposes US interference in India: CPI-M - Dec 18, 2010
- Manmohan heads East to Bali and Singapore - Nov 16, 2011
- India to be friends with China, US: PM - Mar 24, 2012
Tags: central secretariat, chief whip, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, condoleezza rice, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rajya sabha, state condoleezza rice