Left opposes hike in fuel pricesMay 23rd, 2012 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) The Left parties Wednesday strongly opposed the proposed increase in prices of petrol, diesel and other petroleum products.
“Such an increase will be a cruel blow on people who are already suffering from severe price rise,” a statement issued by the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) and others said.
The statement said the CPI-M, Communist Party of India (CPI), Forward Bloc and Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) also finalized a campaign to ensure a universal public distribution system.
The proposed Food Security Bill does not serve the purpose of ensuring food security for all citizens, it said.
On presidential elections, the four parties reiterated that “there should be a candidate based on the widest possible acceptance”.
The meeting was attended by, among others, general secretaries Prakash Karat (CPI-M), Sudhakar Reddy (CPI), Debabrata Biswas (Forward Bloc) and T.J. Chandrachoodan (RSP).
- Left says presidential candidate should be widely accepted - May 23, 2012
- Fuel price hike a cruel blow on the people: Left - Jun 25, 2010
- Left meets PM, demands excess food be distributed - Aug 04, 2012
- Change in Left's 'olden' perception towards Obama? - Oct 28, 2010
- CPI-M, Forward Bloc to back Pranab, CPI, RSP to skip poll (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Forward Bloc questions Left's plan to attend Obama speech (Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Left condemns fuel price hike - May 15, 2011
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- Karat, Bardhan court arrest against price rise (Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Don't open multi-brand FDI in retail, PM told - Jul 22, 2012
- Left organises nationwide protests against rising prices (Second Intro Roundup) - Apr 08, 2010
- Left to protest price hike - Jul 25, 2009
- Left parties divided over supporting Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
- Left parties to agitate if fuel prices hiked - Dec 15, 2010
- Thousands court arrest as Left protests price rise (Intro Roundup) - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: citizens, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, cruel blow, diesel, food security, forward bloc, fuel prices, left parties, New Delhi, petroleum products, presidential elections, public distribution system, revolutionary socialist party, secretaries, security bill, sudhakar