Left leaders to meet Mamata to protest attacksMay 31st, 2011 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 30 (IANS) A delegation of Left Front leaders will meet West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee June 3 to complain about the “ongoing atrocities” on Left activists across the state, a party leader said.
“A Left Front delegation will meet Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on June 3 at 5 p.m. and we will inform her about the ongoing atrocities on the Left activists across the state,” Leader of Opposition Surjya Kanta Mishra told mediapersons here.
Incidentally, this will be the first formal meeting between the two sides in about two years.
Earlier during the Left Front regime, Banerjee’s Trinamool Congress had boycotted the state government since mid-2009 alleging that the government has blood on its hands.
However, Banerjee herself took the lead to melt the ice in the assembly by urging the newly-elected Speaker Biman Banerjee to give more importance to the opposition in the house proceedings.
Next she walked up to the opposition benches and exchanged greetings with its leaders once the day’s proceedings were adjourned.
Mishra then went to Banerjee’s chamber and sought an appointment to brief her about the ongoing “atrocities”.
“It is our duty to protect our activists across the state. They are facing lot of atrocities,” said Mishra who is also a member of Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) central committee.
- Will give due respect to opposition: West Bengal minister - May 21, 2011
- Political murders have come down in West Bengal: Mamata - Jun 29, 2012
- Left pays homage to Jyoti basu on the road - Jul 08, 2012
- Left pays homage to Jyoti Basu on the road (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Left team meets Mamata over attacks on members - Jun 03, 2011
- LF demands all-party meet on Mamata's talks with GJM - Jun 18, 2012
- No partycracy in house, says Mamata in first assembly speech - May 30, 2011
- Mamata trying to gag opposition: CPI-M - Feb 12, 2012
- Mamata, Left clash over Assam refugees - Jul 27, 2012
- Township must be named after Jyoti Basu: Left - Oct 21, 2011
- Left Front to register protest against post-poll violence - May 27, 2011
- Bengal passes bill on 17 percent OBC reservation - Jul 06, 2012
- Mamata draws flak for observing Basu's birthday in advance - Jul 06, 2012
- Bengal bars media conference at the assembly, CPI-M objects - Feb 10, 2012
- After railways, Banerjee now sending Bengal to ICU: CPI-M - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: atrocities, central committee, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, delegation, leader of opposition, left activists, m central, mamata banerjee, mishra, opposition benches, party leader, proceedings, regime, state government, state leader, trinamool congress, west bengal