Left in dilemma over support to PranabJune 15th, 2012 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 15 (IANS) The Left parties Friday appeared to be in a grave dilemma over the issue of supporting Pranab Mukherjee’s candidature for president because not doing so would indirectly help the Trinamool Congress which is opposing the candidature of the UPA’s Man Friday.
“Does the Left have any other option left except supporting Pranab-da’s candidature? Because opposing Pranab-da means indirectly supporting Trinamool, which is next to impossible. I personally feel that Left parties will support Pranab-da,” said a Forward Bloc leader on condition of anonymity.
“We are in a great dilemma because of Pranab-da’s candidature for the post of president. If the Congress had nominated some one else it would have been easier for us to take a call. But the nomination of Pranab-da has indeed forced us to think and rethink,” Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) state secretary Kshiti Goswami told IANS.
Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee was Friday named the United Progessive Alliance’s (UPA) candidate for president and found backing from several parties including the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
However, senior Left leaders from New Delhi kept their cards close to the chest and said the final call regarding the Left’s stand will be taken in the meeting of Left parties on June 21.
“We will announce our stand after the meeting with the Left parties on June 21. I can say only one thing that the meeting can be pre-poned given the changed scenario,” said Debabrata Biswas, general secretary Forward Bloc.
However, senior Forward Bloc leader Naren Chatterjee said he personally wants Mukherjee to become the next president of the country.
“Final call will be taken after the meeting of the Left parties on June 21,” said Mohammed Salim, CPI-M central committee member.
- Trinamool should support Pranab to save face: Congress - Jul 16, 2012
- Bengal Congress lashes out at Mamata for rejecting Pranab - Jun 14, 2012
- Pranab calls Tripura CM for Left support - Jun 16, 2012
- Dinesh Trivedi congratulates Pranab - Jun 16, 2012
- CPI-M, Forward Bloc to back Pranab, CPI, RSP to skip poll (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pranab arrives in Kolkata, to meet supporters Monday - Jul 08, 2012
- Trinamool's votes not needed in presidential poll: Congress - Jul 06, 2012
- Congress MP mocks Mamata over Kalam's backout - Jun 18, 2012
- GJM to go with Trinamool on presidential poll - Jun 28, 2012
- Am ready to talk to Mamata if she is ready: Pranab - Jul 09, 2012
- Pranab seeks Trinamool support - Jun 28, 2012
- Let Sangma read the constitution: Bengal Congress chief - Jun 24, 2012
- Decide on Trinamool alliance after presidential polls: Bengal Congress - Jul 09, 2012
- Trinamool hits out at alleged Congress-Marxist axis - Jun 21, 2012
- Left parties divided over supporting Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
Tags: bahujan samaj party, biswas, candidature, central committee member, debabrata, final call, forward bloc, general secretary, goswami, left parties, m central, man friday, pranab mukherjee, progessive, revolutionary socialist party, samaj, Samajwadi Party, state secretary, trinamool congress, union finance minister