Left Front nearing its end: Mamata BanerjeeJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 6:44 pm ICT by IANS
Nandigram (West Bengal), Jan 3 (IANS) Mamata Banerjee, chief of West Bengal’s principal opposition party Trinamool Congress, Saturday said the state’s Left Front government was nearing its end as the people were determined to bring in a change.Addressing a rally in this East Midnapore district area, which is slated to witness an assembly by-poll Monday, Banerjee urged the electorate to guide the state’s people to the change.
Lambasting front major Communsit Party of India - Marxist (CPI-M) for “establishing a reign of terror during its long 32 years of reign”, Banerjee said people of Nandigram - the region which flared up in 2007 over the state government’s efforts to establish a chemical hub - were “yet to get justice”.
“We want an end to the reign of terror,” Banerjee said at the rally in Reyapara.
“This government will go soon. If we come to power, we will implement lot of development programmes. Let Nandigram guide Bengal to the change,” she said.
In the by-poll, the Trinamool Congress has nominated Feroza Bibi, the mother of one of those killed allegedly in police firing March 14 2007.
Ruling Left Front partner Communist Party of India (CPI) - whose representative Sheikh Mohammed Illias won the seat in 2006 - has named Paramananda Bharati, a veteran teacher of the area, as its candidate.
The by-election has been necessitated by the resignation of Iliyas for his alleged involvement in a bribery scandal.
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- Trinamool misled rural Bengal: Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee - Apr 30, 2011
- CPI-M demands release of its jailed Bengal ex-MP - Jun 05, 2012
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- Three CPI-M offices torched in West Bengal - Sep 07, 2010
- Trinamool shines in civic polls, loses near Nandigram (Roundup) - Jun 06, 2012
- Trinamool passes popularity test, with twin failures (West Bengal newsletter) - Jun 09, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee: Timeline of an intrepid politician - May 20, 2011
- Nandigram in focus in West Bengal by-polls - Dec 30, 2008
- Timeline of Left Front government in West Bengal - May 13, 2011
- Mamata wins by-poll, Trinamool snatches Basirhat-Uttar - Sep 28, 2011
- CPI-M accuses Mamata Banerjee of violating poll code - Sep 02, 2011
- By-polls underway in West Bengal's Nandigram, Sujapur - Jan 05, 2009
- Mamata' looks clear favourite in by-election (Curtain raiser) - Sep 24, 2011
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011