Left Front blocked pro-farmer law, says ex-Bengal ministerJune 13th, 2011 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 13 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist leader and West Bengal’s former land reforms minister Abdur Rezzak Mollah Monday said that the Left Front during its regime stopped him from bringing in a pro-farmer law in order to save agricultural land from the land sharks.
“During my tenure as land reforms minister, in order to save agricultural land from promoters and land sharks, I wanted to bring in a law saying that nobody could buy farmers’ land except the government in special cases,” said Mollah while taking to reporters in Kolkata.
During his tenure as land reforms minister, he raised his voice against the procedure of land acquisition in the Singur area of Hooghly district for the Tata’s Nano car plant, he said.
“At that time there were various incidents and reports that lands were forcibly taken by land sharks by threatening the farmers. But I was not allowed to take up that law. The Left Front didn’t allow me do it,” said Mollah, who is also the chief whip of his party in the West Bengal assembly.
- CPI-M leader keeps away from his 'Occupy Singur' movement - Jul 03, 2012
- Occupy Singur on lines of Occupy Wall street: CPI-M legislator - Jun 24, 2012
- Occupy Singur movement from July 3, says CPI-M lawmaker - Jun 27, 2012
- Parties scramble to capture Singur turf (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jun 30, 2012
- Bengal CPI-M's legislative party whip resigns - Jun 08, 2012
- Left lost polls on Singur land, says CPI-M leader - May 26, 2011
- CPI-M's ex-minister meets Mamata on land policy - Oct 31, 2011
- 26 Bengal ministers lose in elections - May 14, 2011
- CPI-M pulls up former minister for criticising Buddhadeb - May 18, 2011
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Violence, killings down in Maoist areas, says Mamata - Jun 29, 2012
- Mamata thanks people for moral support on Singur - Jun 23, 2012
- SUCI-C urges all parties to join Singur farmers' movement - Jul 01, 2012
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Mamata government reactivates Singur movement panel - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: agricultural land, car plant, chief whip, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, farmers, kolkata, land acquisition, land reforms, land sharks, marxist leader, mollah, nano, pro farmer, promoters, regime, tata, tenure, west bengal