Left dubs Mamata opportunistJuly 21st, 2012 - 8:06 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 21 (IANS) West Bengal’s Left Front Saturday dubbed Chief Minister and Trinamool Congress supremo Mamata Banerjee an “opportunist” for continuing the alliance with the Congress at the centre while indicating snapping of ties in the state.
“By her statement it seems that she wants to have her cake and eat it too. On the one hand she has so many union ministers at the centre, while on the other hand she opposes and demonsrates against the Congress at the state. She has been doing this for a long time,” said Leader of Opposition Surjyakant Mishra, of the Left Front major Communist Party of India-Marxist.
In a clear indication that the Trinamool Congress would not ally with the Congress in the coming panchayat polls in West Bengal, Banerjee Saturday said Trinamool was capable of going it alone in the state as it has the majority to run the government.
However, she categorically said her party’s alliance with the Congress at the centre - where the two are partners in the United Progressive Alliance government - would remain “so long we are treated with respect and dignity”.
Mishra also slammed Banerjee for trying to hold early the state panchayat polls, which are due next year.
“I don’t know how the panchayat polls can be held before they completes a full term. Except if they break those panchayat bodies as they have expertise in breaking,” he said.
Banerjee had said that the panchayat elections in the state might be held after the Durga Puja in October.
“We may have the panchayat polls just after the Durga Puja. This time we have to bring change in the panchayats too. We have to win the Left Front-run zilla parishads, panchayet samitis and gram panchayats. Go back to your areas and reach out to the masses. We have to create a new Bengal through panchayats,” she said.
- Bengal's growth rate higher than nation's: Mamata - Jul 21, 2012
- Mamata indicates end of alliance with Congress in Bengal - Jul 21, 2012
- Left will win over 150 seats in Bengal, says Bardhan - Apr 15, 2011
- Mamata magic: Puja marquees go through 'poriborton' - Oct 03, 2011
- Presidential poll: Trinamool, CPI-M both losers (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Mamata strips non-Trinamool panchayat heads of power - Mar 27, 2012
- Mamata's war cry at Congress fortress (West Bengal Newsletter) - Sep 01, 2012
- Mamata hints at ending Bengal alliance, Congress hits back (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Mamata's war cry in Congress fortress (West Bengal Newsletter) (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- No farmer suicides due to agricultural debt: Mamata - Jan 19, 2012
- Trinamool, Congress seal seat-sharing deal for Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Mamata wins by-poll, Trinamool snatches Basirhat-Uttar - Sep 28, 2011
- Bengal polls: Mamata reaches out to Congress (Lead) - Feb 20, 2011
- Congress seals pact with Trinamool for West Bengal assembly polls (Roundup) - Mar 22, 2011
- Ready to fight Bengal panchayat polls alone: Congress - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: alliance government, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dignity, durga puja, leader of opposition, long time, mamata banerjee, mishra, opportunist, panchayat elections, panchayats, polls, progressive alliance, ties, trinamool congress, union ministers, west bengal