Left demands probe into farmer suicidesFebruary 7th, 2012 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 6 (IANS) West Bengal opposition leader Surya Kanta Mishra Monday demanded a probe into the farmer suicides in the state and compensation to the families of such farmers.
“We want an inquiry into the 31 cases of farmer suicides in the state. We want the family members should be given suicides,” said Mishra, opposition leader of West Bengal assembly.
Mishra mocked West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s claims that only one farmer so far has committed suicide in the state.
“She is more interested in conducting enquires on various issues of Left Front government in last three decades. I don’t know when she will come to issues of 2012,” he said.
“She is saying that one farmer has committed suicide so far. Then why is she not naming the farmer who has committed suicide. The government is totally clueless and ignorant towards the problems of the farmers,” said Mishra.
The West Bengal government led by Trinamool Congress has drawn severe criticism from both the Left Front and the Congress for being unable to take proper steps in stopping the farmer suicides.
- CPI-M counters Mamata claim on farmer suicides - Jan 19, 2012
- No steps taken to find missing Left workers: CPI-M - Sep 10, 2011
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Thwart farmers' suicides: Bengal governor - Jan 23, 2012
- Bengal passes bill on 17 percent OBC reservation - Jul 06, 2012
- Political murders have come down in West Bengal: Mamata - Jun 29, 2012
- Bengal Left leader questions Mamata's policies - Oct 19, 2011
- Mamata, governor differ on farm suicides (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Trinamool MP slams Bengal government for farmers' suicides - Jan 13, 2012
- Mamata, opposition discuss renaming of West Bengal - Aug 03, 2011
- Left leaders to meet Mamata to protest attacks - May 31, 2011
- Mamata's reign similar to semi-fascist rule of 1970s: Left leader - Apr 18, 2012
- Two Bengal CPI-M leaders killed, Left blames Trinamool (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Will give due respect to opposition: West Bengal minister - May 21, 2011
Tags: chief minister, enquires, family members, farmers, kanta, last three decades, mamata banerjee, mishra, opposition leader, proper steps, suicide, suicides, trinamool congress, west bengal government