Left, BSP welcome move to suspend work on Maheshwar damMay 3rd, 2010 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) MPs from the Left, the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and other parties Monday supported the government’s decision to suspend work on the Maheshwar dam in Madhya Pradesh till the dislocated people are rehabilitated.
“We welcome the decision taken by the ministry of environment and forests, under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986, suspending work on the Maheshwar project till the rehabilitation and resettlement of the affected persons is completed,” the parties said in strongly worded letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The letter is signed by the BSP, Communist Party of India-Marxist, Communist Party of India, Assom Gana Parishad, Samajwadi Party, Forward Bloc and Revolutionary Socialist Party.
“This intervention to ensure prior rehabilitation of the oustees will go a long way to constructively address the issue of displacement in development projects,” the letter said.
“Of the 61 villages whose lands are involved only one has been rehabilitated… Of these 61, 22 are those where homestead will also be submerged,” the letter said.
The letter says that the MPs were “shocked” to learn that Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan “instead of welcoming this opportunity to complete the rehabilitation and resettlement of the dislocated” had written to the prime minister seeking revocation of the environment ministry order.
The Madhya Pradesh government last week accused the union ministry of having an agenda to stall development projects in the state, and cited its order suspending the work on Maheshwar Dam as an example.
- Madhya Pradesh urges PM to intervene on Maheshwar project - Apr 29, 2010
- Maheshwar Dam oustees on indefinite hunger strike - Apr 22, 2010
- Madhya Pradesh CM meets Manmohan Singh on Maheshwar Dam issue - May 05, 2010
- Under pressure from PMO, Jairam clears Madhya Pradesh hydro project - May 06, 2011
- Environment ministry promises action against Narmada dam builder - Feb 16, 2010
- Chouhan urges PM for early clearance of power project - May 06, 2010
- PM urged not to restart work on Narmada dams - May 08, 2010
- Apex court rejects plea for dam oustees' relief - Jul 27, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh dam project: PM asked to revoke ban - Apr 29, 2010
- Renuka dam construction yet to begin: Dhumal - Aug 26, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh children to get ready-to-eat breakfast - Dec 13, 2011
- Relief for canal-affected and dam-displaced not same: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Government clears first phase of Maheshwar project - May 07, 2010
- Andhra, Orissa, Chhattisgarh urged to resolve Polavaram row - Mar 19, 2011
- Himachal to re-submit Renuka dam proposal for green clearance - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: assom, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, environment protection act, forward bloc, madhya pradesh government, maheshwar project, manmohan, manmohan singh, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, resettlement, revolutionary socialist party, Samajwadi Party, union ministry, welcome move