Leave Lokpal to parliament’s wisdom: Government (Lead)December 26th, 2011 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 26 (IANS) A day before Anna Hazare begins his fast against the “weak” Lokpal bill, the government Monday called the agitation premature, saying the anti-graft legislation should be left to parliament’s wisdom.
“The government has already tabled the bill in the Lok Sabha, which is a very strong and effective bill. Everyone will deliberate upon it, views of other political parties will also come and the bill will be put for vote,” Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said.
“Let’s leave it to parliament to decide. I would only request him (Hazare) to wait for the outcome in parliament,” he said.
Speaking on the same lines, Harish Rawat, the other minister of state for parliamentary affairs, said the legislation should be left to the wisdom of parliament.
The minister said that most of Team Anna’s suggestions have been accommodated in the bill.
“All good suggestions have been accommodated, keeping in mind the welfare of the country and all sections of society, and if there are some points left, Annaji and his companions should leave it to the wisdom of parliamentarians and parliament,” Rawat told reporters.
The minister also said there was no sense in creating pressure at a time when parliament was discussing the proposed legislation.
“Parliament will start its debate from tomorrow and will discuss it in detail. All political parties want to contribute and have come with an open mind,” Rawat said.
“At such a time, I don’t think there is any sense in putting any kind of pressure,” he added.
Anna Hazare will be sitting on a three-day fast in Mumbai for a strong Lokpal bill from Tuesday, coinciding with parliament’s extended winter session Dec 27-29 during which the government hopes to debate and pass the anti-graft legislation.
- 'Leave Lokpal bill to parliament's wisdom' - Dec 26, 2011
- Government seeks support on Lokpal, opposition for changes (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM, wants CBI under Lokpal (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- No more delay in Lokapl acceptable, says Anna - Dec 18, 2011
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- BJP wants PM, CBI, lower bureaucracy under Lokpal - Dec 11, 2011
- Government plan to extend parliament session opposed (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Cabinet to discuss Lokpal bill Tuesday, Hazare calls it worthless (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- All party meeting urges Hazare to end fast (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Parliament to decide Lokpal bill's final shape: Pranab - Dec 26, 2011
- Lokpal bill not under duress, all views considered: Pranab (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Bill not tabled in a hurry: Pranab - Dec 27, 2011
- Team Anna members to stage protest in Delhi (Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Lokpal bill passed in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Lok Sabha passes Lokpal bill but no constitutional status (Second Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,