Laws discriminatory to minorities to be repealed: BangladeshApril 30th, 2009 - 2:40 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, April 30 (IANS) Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has said that her government will repeal all laws and rules discriminatory to minority communities, including indigenous people.
“Our government believes in freedom of all religious faiths and equal opportunities for all,” Hasina told a visiting French military delegation Wednesday.
Hasina said the government would ensure protection of freedom of all religions and the minority groups’ freedom of expression in the country, United News of Bangladesh reported.
She spoke about her government’s stand on free practice of all religions at a meeting with the French Commander of the Joint Forces in the Indian Ocean Region, Gerard Valin.
“The present government believes in peace and prosperity of the people, freedom of all religions and equal rights of people of all walks of life,” The Daily Star newspaper quoted her as saying Thursday.
Buddhist tribals and Hindus are minorities in Muslim majority Bangladesh.
- Hasina wants Islam as Bangladesh state religion (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- `Secularism' to be restored in Bangladesh constitution - Oct 19, 2010
- Hasina angry at being called an atheist - Mar 28, 2011
- We have no indigenous population, Bangladesh tells UN - May 27, 2011
- Hasina for Islam as Bangladesh's state religion - May 31, 2011
- Lawmaker attacked, 100 buses vandalised in Bangladesh strike (Lead) - Apr 04, 2011
- Retired Indian Army officer to get Bangladesh award - Jun 25, 2012
- Opposition strike in Bangladesh over 'equal status' for women - Apr 04, 2011
- Violence mars Durga Puja festivities in Bangladesh - Oct 17, 2010
- India to be more liberal to boost trade, solve water issue: Hasina - Jan 11, 2012
- Hindus in Bangladesh celebrate Janmashtami - Sep 01, 2010
- Bangladesh keen on joint ventures with India: Hasina - Jan 12, 2012
- Hasina visits Tripura Wednesday to commemorate history - Jan 10, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi lauds Bangladesh's efforts to tackle terror - Jul 25, 2011
- Tripura varsity to confer doctorate on Sheikh Hasina - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: daily star, dhaka, equal opportunities, freedom of expression, french commander, hindus, indian ocean region, indigenous people, military delegation, minister sheikh hasina, minority communities, minority groups, muslim majority, news of bangladesh, present government, religious faiths, tribals, united news of bangladesh, valin, walks of life