Late minister’s son announces return to Akali foldApril 8th, 2009 - 11:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 8 (IANS) After blowing hot and cold for five days, Jasjit Singh Bunny, son of former minister and senior Akali Dal leader Kanwalijit Singh who died last week, Wednesday evening announced that he was re-joining the ruling Akali Dal in Punjab.
Bunny, 38, had resigned from the Akali Dal and his post as chairman of the state’s cooperative bank just five days after the death of his father in a car accident.
Sharing a dais with Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Akali Dal president and Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal at the memorial service for his father Sunday, Bunny announced that he would contest the forthcoming elections from the Patiala Lok Sabha seat as an Independent candidate.
The Badal duo was left embarrassed by Bunny’s outburst.
Sources close to his family said that Bunny was upset with the Akali Dal and the Badals after he was not accommodated in the government after his father’s sudden death.
“He announced his resignation in anger. Now he has reconciled after his supporters made him see reason,” a family source said.
Kanwaljit Singh, a senior cabinet minister in the Badal government and a suave and moderate face of the Akali Dal, was killed in a car accident near here March 29.
- Dynastic politics comes to haunt Badals in Punjab - Apr 08, 2009
- Former minister's son remains defiant in Punjab - Apr 05, 2009
- 'Parkash Singh Badal to be chief minister' - Mar 08, 2012
- Polling begins for by-elections in 3 Punjab assembly seats - Aug 03, 2009
- Sukhbir Badal makes maiden entry as legislator - Aug 07, 2009
- Late Akali minister's son to contest as independent - Apr 03, 2009
- Embarrassed Akalis in damage control mode - Apr 04, 2009
- Akalis sweep Punjab by-polls, Sukhbir Badal triumphs (Lead) - Aug 06, 2009
- Parkash Singh Badal set to again be Punjab chief minister (Lead) - Mar 08, 2012
- Tens of thousands vote in Punjab (Lead) - Aug 03, 2009
- Parkash Singh Badal pitted against brother for Lambi seat - Dec 31, 2011
- Lok Bhalai Party merges with Akali Dal in Punjab - Nov 23, 2011
- Manpreet Badal ploughs a lonely furrow (Punjab Newsletter) - Aug 24, 2012
- Badal vs Badal: who will be Punjab chief minister? - Mar 06, 2012
- Sukhbir wins in Jalalabad, Akali Dal sweeps Punjab by-polls - Aug 06, 2009
Tags: anger, cabinet minister, car accident, cooperative bank, dais, deputy chief minister, family source, forthcoming elections, independent candidate, kanwaljit singh, Lok Sabha, moderate face, outburst, patiala, punjab, resignation, sudden death, sukhbir badal, wednesday evening