Large voter turnout in Bengal by-pollsJune 12th, 2012 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 12 (IANS) An average 70 percent of voters exercised their franchise in by-polls to Daspur and Bankura assembly seats in West Bengal Tuesday. The elections passed off peacefully, an Election Commission official said.
“While 73 percent votes were cast in Daspur, 67 percent voters exercised their rights in Bankura,” state Chief Electoral Officer Sunil Gupta told IANS.
“There were no untoward incidents. It was 100 percent peaceful,” he said.
Despite the blistering heat and extreme humidity, there were long queues of voters at the polling booths.
The assembly constituencies fell vacant following the death of Trinamool Congress legislators Ajit Bhunia, who represented Daspur in West Midnapore district, and Kashinath Mishra, who had won from Bankura, headquarters of the Bankura district.
For the by-polls, the Trinamool Congress nominated Bhunia’s widow Mamata Bhunia from Daspur and Mishra’s widow Minati Mishra from Bankura.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) gave tickets to Samar Mukherjee in Daspur and Nilanjan Dasgupta in Bankura.
The election results will be declared June 15.
- Trinamool wins both seats in Bengal assembly by-polls - Jun 15, 2012
- Left Front announces candidates for Bengal by-polls - Apr 30, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- By-polls in two Bengal assembly constituencies June 12 - Apr 25, 2012
- Bengal assembly adjourned following Trinamool legislator's death - Mar 19, 2012
- Millions vote in by-polls in six states (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011
- 83 percent votes cast in round five of Bengal polls (Intro Roundup) - May 08, 2011
- Mamata wins by-poll, Trinamool snatches Basirhat-Uttar - Sep 28, 2011
- Over 51 percent vote in Kolkata South by-poll - Nov 30, 2011
- 83 percent votes cast in Bengal fifth phase (Roundup) - May 07, 2011
- Political parties happy with sixth phase polling - May 10, 2011
- Polling peaceful in West Bengal first phase (Intro Roundup) - Apr 18, 2011
- Polling ends in Bengal, 83 percent votes cast - May 07, 2011
- Trinamool retains Kolkata South with massive margin - Dec 04, 2011
- Heavy, peaceful turnout in Andhra by-polls (Third Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: ajit, assembly constituencies, assembly seats, bankura district, blistering heat, chief electoral officer, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, election commission, extreme humidity, gupta, mamata, midnapore district, mishra, polling booths, queues, samar, trinamool congress, west bengal