Landslide win for SDF, Chamling gets fourth term (Third Lead)May 16th, 2009 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
Gangtok, 16 May (IANS) The Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) created history Saturday by winning in all 32 assembly constituencies and the lone Lok Sabha seat of the Himalayan state, giving Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling a fourth consecutive term.
Counting of votes cast in the simultaneous assembly and Lok Sabha polls April 30 was held Saturday. There are 12 assembly constituencies in the Sikkim East district, four in North Sikkim, and eight each in Sikkim West and South.
The SDF candidate P.D. Rai bagged the lone Lok Sabha seat, defeating K.N. Upreti of the Congress by a margin of over 3,000 votes.
The chief minister, who contested the assembly polls from Poklok-Kamrang and Namchi-Singhithang, won both the seats of South Sikkim with margins of over 6,000 and 7,000 votes respectively.
SDF candidate Aam Prasad Sharma defeated Congress state unit president and former chief minister N.B. Bhandari by a margin of 1,000 votes to wrest the Singtam-Khamdong assembly seat in East Sikkim.
Bhandari also lost in the Soreng-Chakung constituency in West Sikkim to the SDF’s Ran Bahadur Subba.
In the same district, Barfung constituency was won by Dawcho Lepcha of the SDF against Aden Tshering of the Congress. The SDF’s Chandra Maya Subba beat Laxuman Gurung of the Congress in Maneybong-Dentam seat, while Yangthang constituency was wrested by the SDF’s P.L. Subba.
Speaker of the assembly D. Thakarpa won from Rinchenpong and Man Bahadur Dahal bagged Geyzing-Bermiok.
The SDF’s Tenzey Sherpa and Madan Cintury were victorious in Daramdin and Salghari-Zoom respectively.
In East Sikkim, the West Pendam constituency was won by the SDF’s Neeru Sewa, who defeated Congress candidate Jagdish Cintury by over 1,000 votes. The Nathang-Machong constituency was bagged by SDF’s Laxuman Lepcha.
The Rhenock and Namcheybong seats were wrested by the SDF’s Bhim Dungel and Beg Bahadur Rai, respectively. Their party colleague Puran Gurung won the Chujachen seat by beating the Congress’ Harka Raj Guruns by 4,800 votes. Here, Sikkim National People’s Party (SNPP) president Biraj Adhikari got only 71 votes.
The ruling party’s Dorjee Namgyal defeated Major T. Gyatso of the Congress to grab the prestigious Gangktok constituency. D.B. Thapa beat Arun Kumar Basnett in Upper Tadong.
P.S. Tamang and N.K. Pradhan won Burtuk and Arithang, respectively. K.T Gyaltsen wrested Upper Siyari, while Menlom Lepcha was victorious in Rumtek-Martam.
In North Sikkim, T.T. Bhutia of the SDF bagged the Kabi-Lungchok constituency, beating Ugen Bhutia of the Congress. SDF candidate Sonam Gyatso Lepcha defeated Congress nominee Norden Tshering to grab the Dzongu constituency.
SDF nominee Tshering Wangdi Lepcha stole the victory from Congress candidate Anil Lachenpa by the lowest winning margin of 500 in Lachen-Mangan constituency.
Ugen Gyatso Bhutia of the SDF won the Tumin-Lingee constituency in South Sikkim, beating Phuchung Bhutia of the Congress.
Melli and Namthang-Rateypani seats of the same district were won by the SDF’s Tulsi Devi Rai and Tilu Gurung, respectively. B.S. Panth won Temi-Nampring, while C.B. Karki grabbed Rangrang-Yangang.
Unlike the 2004 elections, the Sangha (monk body) seat was won by SDF candidate Phitook Tshering Lepcha.
- Chamling set for record fourth term in Sikkim (Second Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Sikkim Democratic Front set to sweep back to power (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- SDF wins Sikkim's lone Lok Sabha seat, leads in assembly - May 16, 2009
- New Sikkim government sworn in - May 20, 2009
- On Delhi's edge, BSP holds sway (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- Chamling set to return to power (Poll curtainraiser - Sikkim) - Apr 29, 2009
- YSR Congress elated over first win outside Kadapa - Mar 21, 2012
- YSRCP sweeps Andhra by-polls, bags one Lok Sabha, 15 assembly seats (Fourth Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- YSR's son, widow win by-elections by record margins (Third Lead) - May 13, 2011
- YSR Congress Party wins Nellore Lok Sabha, 14 assembly seats (Third Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- After Hisar defeat, uphill task for Hooda in by-polls - Nov 07, 2011
- Chandy, Achuthanandan win handsomely - May 13, 2011
- SP sends maximum women candidates to UP assembly - Mar 07, 2012
- TRS scores historic victory in Telangana by-polls - Jul 31, 2010
Tags: assembly constituencies, assembly polls, assembly seat, bhandari, bhim, chief minister, congress candidate, consecutive term, dahal, democratic front, gurung, himalayan state, lok sabha polls, madan, neeru, s chandra, sdf, sewa, subba, west sikkim