Land grab charges against Gowda family to be probedDecember 1st, 2010 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Bangalore, Dec 1 (IANS) Karnataka Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa Wednesday ordered a probe into allegations that former prime minister and Janata Dal-Secular (JD-S) president H.D. Deve Gowda’s family had grabbed public land in Hassan district.
“I have asked the deputy commissioner of Hassan to check if Gowda family had illegally taken over the lands,” he told reporters during a visit to New Delhi to meet senior Bharatiya Janata Party leaders L.K. Advani and Rajnath Singh.
“If the charges are proved, the government will take over the lands,” said Yeddyurappa, himself under attack for allegedly allocating prime lands in Bangalore and suburbs to his family.
Gowda and his two sons, former chief minister H.D. Kumaraswamy and former minister H.D. Revanna, are accused of grabbing 82 acres of land in their home district of Hassan, about 180 km from Bangalore.
Kumaraswamy, however, denied the charges.
“If we have illegally occupied even an inch of land, let the government take over it immediately,” he said in New Delhi.
The charges against the Gowda family were levelled by Yeddyurappa’s political secretary B.J. Puttaswamy Tuesday, after which a group of JD-S workers attacked his residence in Bangalore. Police detained over 20 JD-S workers on Puttaswamy’s complaint.
Another Yeddyurappa loyalist, Food and Civil Supplies Minister V. Somanna Wednesday said the BJP would not be deterred by JD-S attacks and would continue to expose the Gowda clan.
“Kumaraswamy is making baseless charges against Yeddyurappa. We will not sit quiet,” Somanna told reporters in Bangalore.
“Hooliganism will not be tolerated,” BJP spokesperson S. Prakash added.
- BJP claims Gowda family grabbed 82 acres of grazing land - Nov 30, 2010
- Gowda family owns huge property by proxy: BJP - Jun 28, 2011
- Yeddyurappa not trying to 'buy' silence over graft, says BJP - Jun 17, 2011
- Deve Gowda family has amassed Rs.1,500 crore assets: BJP (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Kumaraswamy plans fast over illegal wealth charges - Jun 30, 2011
- Kumaraswamy begins indefinite fast - Jul 09, 2011
- Yeddyurappa's son dismisses opposition charges (Lead) - Mar 09, 2011
- JD-S to release more documents on Yeddyurappa's graft - Jun 15, 2011
- Gowda family involved in iron ore exports: BJP - Jun 14, 2011
- Kumaraswamy to begin fast-unto-death Saturday - Jul 08, 2011
- JD-S claims Yeddyurappa's sons run trust to make money - Mar 09, 2011
- BJP lawmaker elected Karnataka deputy speaker amid uproar - Jan 11, 2011
- Kumaraswamy calls off fast - Jul 10, 2011
- Congress, JD-S rally against Yeddyurappa rule - May 09, 2011
- Yeddyurappa, Kumaraswamy now fight over fast venue - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: allegations, bangalore, bharatiya janata party, bjp, civil supplies minister, deputy commissioner, former prime minister, hassan district, hooliganism, jd, karnataka chief minister, kumaraswamy, l k advani, land grab, New Delhi, party leaders, political secretary, rajnath singh, s prakash, spokesperson