Lalu, Paswan to skip cabinet meetingMay 8th, 2009 - 1:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) Railway Minister Lalu Prasad and Steel Minister Ram Vilas Paswan are likely to skip a meeting of the union cabinet called by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here Friday, sources said.
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) chiefs, key members of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA), seem to be miffed over Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s praise of Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, they said.
At a press conference in the capital earlier this week, Rahul Gandhi had antagonised Lalu Prasad and Paswan by praising Janata Dal-United’s chief minister Nitish Kumar’s developmental work in Bihar.
“There is no programme to go to Delhi. He is busy meeting party workers,” said Lalu Prasad’s close aide in Patna.
According to Paswan’s office, he was busy attending election meetings in Kolkata and was scheduled to arrive in Delhi only late Saturday.
Elections for the 40 Lok Sabha seats in Bihar ended Thursday in the fourth round of polling.
The cabinet meeting is expected to review president’s rule in Meghalaya and also examine certain international agreements, said Prithviraj Chauhan, minister of state in the Prime Minister’s Office.
“It is a routine cabinet meeting. One should not read much if they (Lalu and Paswan) do not come. I have not heard anything,” Chauhan told IANS.
The central government imposed president’s rule in Meghalaya on March 19, a day after the state government narrowly survived a trust vote with the help of the assembly speaker.
- Lalu, Paswan skip cabinet meeting, stay with UPA (Second Lead) - May 09, 2009
- Lalu, Paswan skip cabinet meeting but stay within UPA (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- JD-U and BJP sweep Bihar, RJD and Congress humiliated (Fourth Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Rabri Devi out of chief ministerial race this election - Jul 20, 2010
- Will wait, watch Nitish moves: Paswan - Jun 21, 2010
- Lalu slams Nitish for 'bowing' before Raj Thackeray - Apr 16, 2012
- JD-U, BJP take early lead in Bihar (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar poll-second phase: Caste arithmetic to play decisive role (Curtain Raiser) - Oct 23, 2010
- RJD, LJP will always remain with UPA: Paswan - May 08, 2009
- Nitish, Lalu, Paswan resume campaign after Chhath - Nov 14, 2010
- Lalu as chief minister? Others call it daydreaming - Aug 17, 2010
- Nitish Kumar's alliance heads for victory in Bihar (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Congress, RJD trying to confuse voters. says Nitish Kumar - Sep 21, 2010
- Lalu congratulates Nitish, but not BJP - Nov 24, 2010
- Bihar polls: Test of governance, rule of law in phase three - Oct 27, 2010
Tags: assembly speaker, cabinet meeting, chief minister, election meetings, international agreements, lalu prasad, ljp, lok sabha seats, manmohan, manmohan singh, meghalaya, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rahul gandhi, railway minister, ram vilas paswan, rjd, trust vote, union cabinet