Lalu defends PM on CAG reportAugust 17th, 2012 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 17 (IANS) Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader Lalu Prasad Friday defended Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the wake of CAG report on allocation of coal blocks, but said he could only give a detailed reaction after reading the document.
Talking to media persons, Lalu Prasad said he has not seen the Comptroller and Auditor General report on allocation of coal blocks but sought to put the blame on officers.
“Study is necessary to see what happened…it has to be seen which officer was kept,” he said.
Asked about the role of prime minister who was in charge of coal ministry for a few years, the RJD chief said: “Prime minister has several portfolios with him.”
The CAG report said the exchequer could have earned Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) more if a competitive bidding process was followed in the award of coal blocks to private and government players.
The CAG report, tabled in parliament, said the losses occurred because the process of bringing transparency in the award of coal blocks, which was to commence in June 2004, got delayed due to various reasons.
- Coal block allocations made by best screening committee: Jaiswal - Aug 17, 2012
- India lost $37 bn by not auctioning coal mines: Auditor (Intro Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- BJP attacks PM on coal block allocation (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Process of awarding coal blocks caused $37 bn loss: Auditor - Aug 17, 2012
- Coal auction was opposed by five states, says minister - Aug 22, 2012
- Opposition slams Narayanasamy on CAG mandate comment - Aug 18, 2012
- Furore in Lok Sabha over coal scam - Aug 21, 2012
- BJP wants PM to go, to disrupt parliament - Aug 21, 2012
- Highlights of CAG's report on coal block allocations - Aug 17, 2012
- PM should answer why coal blocks were not auctioned: Yechury - Aug 23, 2012
- Auction of coal mines could have fetched $37 bn more: Auditor (Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- BJP wants PM to go, vows to disrupt parliament (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Parliament disrupted again over coal block allocation - Aug 22, 2012
- Let PM speak on coal allocation, government tells BJP - Aug 27, 2012
- CAG report on coal block allocation flawed: Government - Aug 24, 2012
Tags: auditor general report, cag report, coal, competitive bidding process, comptroller, crore, government players, janata, losses, manmohan, manmohan singh, media persons, New Delhi, parliament, portfolios, prasad, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, transparency