Labour has lost mandate to govern: David CameronMay 7th, 2010 - 10:00 am ICT by IANS
London, May 7 (IANS) Conservative leader David Cameron Friday morning asked Gordon Brown to vacate No.10 Downing Street as Labour “had clearly lost its mandate to govern”.
Exit polls show that the Conservatives could be the largest party in a hung parliament.
“What is clear from these results is that our country wants change. That change is going to require new leadership. We will stand ready to do all we can to bring that leadership,” Daily Mail quoted Cameron as saying.
He said that Labour “had clearly lost its mandate to govern”
There were significant swings from Labour to the Tories in the first two seats to declared. It was 11.6 percent in Washington and Sunderland West and 8.4 percent in Houghton and Sunderland South.
Brown told constituents: “The outcome of this country’s vote is not yet known, but my duty to the country, coming out of this election, is to play my part in Britain having a strong, stable and principled government, able to lead Britain into sustained economic recovery.”
He thanked supporters for their unwavering support and also thanked his wife, Sarah, for her love and support.
- David Cameron: New British PM Moves To 10 Downing Street - May 12, 2010
- The New British PM - David Cameron - May 12, 2010
- Thank you and goodbye, says an emotional Brown - May 12, 2010
- Labour looking for coalition as exit polls predict a hung parliament - May 07, 2010
- In uncertain Britain, Liberal Democrats ponder - May 08, 2010
- Over 50 percent Brits want Cameron to be next PM - May 11, 2010
- British PM on course to win next election: Survey - Feb 28, 2010
- British election leaves all options open (Roundup) - May 07, 2010
- Brown fires starting shot for May 6 poll (Lead) - Apr 06, 2010
- Hung parliament in Britain, parties hunt for numbers (Third Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Treachery, cry Tories after Clegg and Brown talk - May 11, 2010
- David Cameron Shines In The British Election 2010 - May 07, 2010
- Brit PM Brown resigns in a dramatic move - May 11, 2010
- Britain heads for hung parliament (Second Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Brown offers to go if government is formed with Liberals - May 11, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,