Kyrgyz PM Atambayev set to win presidential pollOctober 31st, 2011 - 8:07 am ICT by IANS
Bishkek, Oct 31 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The frontrunner in Sunday’s presidential polls in Kyrgyzstan, Prime Minister Almazbek Atambayev, is set to win the election, gaining over 63 percent of the vote, according to preliminary results.
Sixteen candidates were running in the presidential polls that saw a turnout of just above 60 percent.
A candidate securing over 50 percent of the vote wins the election in the first round.
With over half of the ballots counted, Kyrgyzstan’s Central Election Commission said 55-year-old Atambayev’s main challengers, Kamchibek Tashiyev and Adakhan Madumarov, were gaining nearly 15 percent each.
Critics said the election was marred by fraud.
The figures are expected to be updated by Monday morning.
Interim President Roza Otunbayeva, who took power after Kurmanbek Bakiyev was ousted as president amid large-scale popular protests in April 2010, did not run in the polls as in line with the new Kyrgyz constitution, the president is elected for one six-year term. She is to leave the presidential post Dec 31.
- Russia owes rent on military bases: Kyrgyz president - Dec 29, 2011
- New Kyrgyz president calls for closure of US airbase - Nov 01, 2011
- Kyrgyz President Otunbayeva refuses participating in upcoming fall elections - Feb 22, 2011
- Kyrgyz president sacks government - Aug 24, 2012
- Pentagon chief in Kyrgyzstan for talks - Mar 13, 2012
- Belarusian embassy in Kyrgyzstan attacked - Aug 29, 2012
- Kyrgyz acting PM resigns - Sep 01, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan wants US out of Manas airbase in 2014 - Feb 21, 2012
- Belarus refuses to extradite brother of Kyrgyz ex-president - Sep 06, 2012
- Kyrgyzstan's head reveals overthrown President left only 80 million dollars in budget - Apr 10, 2010
- 17 killed, over 140 injured in Kyrgyzstan riots (Lead) - Apr 07, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan seeks Russian help to control violence (Lead) - Jun 12, 2010
- 49 killed in Kyrgyz violence - Jun 12, 2010
- Otunbayeva sworn in as Kyrgyz president - Jul 03, 2010
- Kyrgyzstan riots toll rises to 40 (Second Lead, changing dateline) - Apr 08, 2010
Tags: ballots, central election commission, challengers, constitution, fraud, frontrunner, interim president, kurmanbek bakiyev, kyrgyz, monday morning, oct 31, preliminary results, presidential poll, presidential polls, prime minister, protests, ria novosti, roza otunbayeva, s central, snb