Kushwaha row: BJP MP threatens to resignJanuary 6th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Jan 6 (IANS) The worries for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) multiplied Thursday after a revolt by senior leaders and MPs grew over the induction of tainted Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) leader Babu Singh Kushwaha.
BJP parliamantarian Yogi Adityanath, at a televised media conference in his home district town of Gorakhpur, said that he would quit the party and politics if the induction of Kushwaha, who faces corruption charges, was not revoked immediately.
“This shows how politics has stooped so low. This is a point of worry for us and is also an insult to us. We cannot tolerate this,” Adityanath told reporters.
He said the former Uttar Pradesh family welfare minister, accused of embezzling huge amounts from the rural health funds, should have been made “accused in the deaths of poor people who died because they could not get medicines”.
“But the BJP has given shelter to him. Poor people in Uttar Pradesh are dying because they cannot afford health care. And these people are responsible for that,” the saffron-clad Gorakhpur MP said.
“It is time for us to decide now if we should remain in politics or not. I have already written to the national leadership to take the decision back or else we will take our own decision and quit,” he said.
Besides Adityanath, senior leaders Maneka Gandhi and Uma Bharti have expressed similar concerns.
- BJP faces rebellion over Kushwaha's induction (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2012
- Adityanath opposes Kushwaha's entry into BJP - Jan 05, 2012
- Adityanath sees a hung assembly in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 11, 2012
- Kushwaha issue divides BJP, Congress questions its credentials (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- BJP faces criticism from own ranks, allies on Kushwaha issue - Jan 05, 2012
- BJP leader denies funding Ajmer blast - Mar 21, 2011
- Political war erupts as CBI raids Kushwaha's premises (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2012
- BJP in Congress line of fire over Kushwaha as CBI raids premises (Fourth Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- BJP in Congress line of fire over Kushwaha as CBI raids premises (Third Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Large turnout in UP second phase polls (Second Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Revolt within, but BJP defends Kushwaha induction - Jan 06, 2012
- Day after joining BJP, Kushwaha's premises raided (Second Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Kushwaha urges Gadkari to put his BJP membership on hold (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Embarrassed over Kushwaha, BJP targets Congress, BSP (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- BJP: hypocrisy of the holier-than-thou (Comment) - Jan 07, 2012
Tags: babu, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, corruption charges, family welfare, gandhi, health funds, induction, insult, medicines, mps, national leadership, revolt, rural health, saffron, uma bharti, uttar pradesh, worries, yogi