Kurup, Shaji Karun, Jayaram among Kerala’s Padma awardeesJanuary 25th, 2011 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 25 (IANS) Malayalam poet O.N.V. Kurup was Tuesday named for the Padma Vibhushan, while popular actor Jayaram, filmmaker Shaji N. Karun, architect G. Sankar and Mohiniattam dancer Kshemavathy Pavitharan were among those from Kerala to get Padma honours.Kurup, who received the Jnanpith Award last year, said his efforts in promoting Malayalam language had been rewarded.
“I am more happy when I see many are happy that I got this award,” said Kurup, who had earlier won a Padma Shri.
He was the fifth Malayali to have received the highest literary award in the country. ONV, as he is popularly called, is also a known lyricist and had won the National Award in 1989 for best lyricist for the film “Vaishali”.
While Late ayurveda physician and scholar K.Raghavan Thirumulpad was given the Padma Bhushan posthumously, Kathakali artist M.Vasudevan Nair was also named for the third highest civilian honour.
Actor Jayaram, who has acted in films like “Thooval Kottaram” and “Sneham”, was named for a Padma Shri along with noted filmmaker Shaji N. Karun, known for movies like “Vanaprastham” and “Kutty Srank”.
G. Shankar, the architect who has been building cost effective homes for nearly two decades, also figured in the Padma Shri list.
Sankar said he is delighted. “I never expected this. In the past few years I was told that my name was in the list but I never got it and so now that I have got this, I am happy.”
Neurosurgeon A. Marthanda Pillai and cardio-thoracic surgeon Jose Chacko Periappuram were named for the Padma Shri in the field of medicine. Azad Moopen, a Malayali physician-turned-entrepreneur based in United Arab Emirates, has been named for the award for his distinguished service in social work.
Peruvanam Kuttan Marar, known for his mastery on the ‘chenda’ (drum) and Mohiniattam dancer Kalamandalam Kshemavathy Pavithran will also be honoured with the Padma Shri.
- Brajesh Mishra, Azim Premji, Montek in list of 128 Padma awardees (Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- Kurup, Mahapatra among Padma awardees for education, literature - Jan 25, 2011
- PM presents Jnanpith Award to O.N.V. Kurup - Feb 11, 2011
- Jnanpith winner ONV arrives to rousing welcome - Sep 25, 2010
- Polish composer Preisner to make Indian debut - Aug 24, 2012
- I'm happy, but missing my wife: Kasaravalli - Jan 25, 2011
- Usha Uthup, Girish Kasaravalli to get Padma Shri - Jan 25, 2011
- Kurup, new young poets bring Malayalam poetry to centre-stage - Oct 02, 2010
- Malayalam poet ONV gets Jnanpith award - Sep 24, 2010
- The List For Padma Bhushan And Padma Shri Awards Recipients’ Of 2011 Announced - Jan 26, 2011
- Brajesh Mishra, Montek amongst 128 Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- List of the Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Malayalam to be made compulsory in Kerala schools: Left manifesto - Mar 15, 2011
- I'm happy my films won eight national awards: Mammootty - Sep 15, 2010
- Maharashtra gets lion's share of Padma awards 2012 - Jan 26, 2012
Tags: azad, best lyricist, cardio thoracic surgeon, chacko, distinguished service, jayaram, kutty, malayali, marar, neurosurgeon, onv, padma bhushan, padma shri, padma vibhushan, pillai, raghavan, sankar, united arab emirates, vaishali, vasudevan