Kurien likely to be Rajya Sabha deputy chairmanJuly 18th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 18 (IANS) After successfully managing the elections of the president and the vice president, the next challenge for the government is to get its candidate elected to the vacant post of the Rajya Sabha deputy chairman, said government sources Wednesday.
Congress member P.J. Kurien is the front-runner for the post, said sources in the United Progressive Alliance, indicating the party did not want to give it to the allies.
The post is lying vacant after the term of K. Rahman Khan ended in April.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, most likely to be elected for a second term, is expected to announce the schedule for election of the deputy chairman of the Rajya Sabha, said sources.
Following the voting for and result of the vice president’s election Aug 7, Ansari is expected to take oath of office Aug 13.
Sources said Ansari, in his capacity as the Rajya Sabha chairman, will then announce the schedule for the election of his deputy.
- Kurien elected Rajya Sabha deputy chairman (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Kurien Congress choice for Rajya Sabha deputy chairman - Aug 16, 2012
- UPA renominates Ansari for vice president (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Presidential fight finalised, focus shifts on Ansari's successor - Jun 23, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with wide margin (Intro Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sonia to select Congress presidential candidate - Jun 04, 2012
- Kurien elected Rajya Sabha deputy chairman - Aug 21, 2012
- I accept re-nomination with all humility, says Ansari - Jul 14, 2012
- BJP sticks to 'quit PM' demand (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- BJP to field its own vice president candidate - Jul 09, 2012
- Ansari re-elected vice president with comfortable margin (Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Vice President Ansari welcomed by Rajya Sabha - Aug 13, 2012
- Congress likely to re-nominate Hamid Ansari - Jul 09, 2012
- Prasad to be deputy opposition leader in Rajya Sabha - Jul 19, 2012
- Why Congress has to get along with SP now (News Analysis) - Mar 07, 2012