Kolkata Police jurisdiction to be extendedMay 25th, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 25 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday said the areas of the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC), which are now under the jurisdiction of the state police, will be brought under the city police for better policing and traffic management.
“There are 141 wards under KMC of which 100 are under Kolkata Police while the rest 41 wards are manned by the state police. There is a communication gap between the two agencies in maintaining law and order and managing traffic,” said Banerjee.
Kolkata has a city police commissionerate while the rest of the state is manned by the state police directorate.
At least eight police stations located in the southern part of the city will be included under city police. The entire process will be completed before September, said Banerjee.
City police chief Ranjit Kumar Pachanda will work out the modalities, she added.
- Caring Didi, strict boss: Mamata's tryst with police - Jun 20, 2011
- Lack of infrastructure, manpower affecting police: Mamata - Dec 15, 2011
- Mamata asks police, fire, KMC to work together for public safety - Jan 02, 2012
- Sovan Chatterjee to be new Kolkata mayor - Jun 06, 2010
- Two-storey public toilets in Kolkata - Jun 24, 2012
- Mamata hints at siphoning of funds during Left's rule - Aug 22, 2011
- Mamata pitches for mediclaim for sex workers - Jan 13, 2011
- Mamata tsunami hits Left, Congress still a factor (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2010
- Railways, Kolkata municipality to be asked to remove Mamata's photos - Mar 25, 2011
- Civic poll results a harbinger for political change in W. Bengal: Mukherjee - Jun 03, 2010
- Trinamool humbles Left in Bengal, snatches Kolkata (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Mamata to lay foundation stone of new film city - Aug 07, 2011
- Bengal dengue cases rise to 643; cause Congress, Trinamool spat - Sep 02, 2012
- Trinamool stuns Left in Bengal, set to win in Kolkata (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Mamata raps civic bodies for negligence in preventing dengue - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: chief minister, city police chief, communication gap, gap, kmc, kolkata municipal corporation, law and order, mamata banerjee, modalities, police jurisdiction, police stations, state police, traffic management, wards, west bengal