Kolkata gets US presidential poll watch centreNovember 4th, 2008 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 4 (IANS) With the presidential battle on in the US, the American Centre here has organised a special event titled ‘Election Watch’ to enable poll enthusiasts to watch constant updates and presidential debates. The election watch centre will be opened at the Park Hotel in central Kolkata from 5.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, said a press statement by the American Consulate office here.
“Before the final results are declared, election enthusiasts will be able to see continuous CNN-election updates over television, screenings of the presidential and vice-presidential debates, casting of mock votes, and election update remarks by Consul General Beth Payne,” it said.
To get a real feel of the US presidential poll, the whole arena would be decorated with colourful festoons and confetti highlighting the typical American theme in red and blue.
“There will be life-size cutouts of the two presidential candidates - John McCain and Barack Obama - inside the watch centre venue to add more glitter to the event. In addition to that, refreshments and various American menus would also be served at the makeshift watch centre in Kolkata also,” the statement added.
The 2008 elections are significant for several factors. If Republican John McCain wins, he will be the oldest person, at the age of 72, to be elected president for a first term, and he will also have Sarah Palin as America’s first woman vice-president.
On the other hand, if elected, Democrat Barack Obama will be the country’s first African-American president.
“The participants at the watch centre will get opportunities to discuss the historical facts during the day-long session Nov 5 when Americans decide who will it be - Obama or McCain,” the statement said.
- US senator meets Kashmir governor, chief minister - Aug 17, 2011
- McCain's visit sparks debate in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2011
- Julianne Moore to play Sarah Palin - Mar 10, 2011
- Julianne Moore to portray Sarah Palin in a movie - Mar 10, 2011
- John McCain ranked most conservative US senator in 2010 - Feb 25, 2011
- McCain waxes eloquent on Palin while likening her to "divisive" Reagan - Nov 29, 2010
- McCain commends Obama on bin Laden killing - May 02, 2011
- Obama has "learned a lot" in two years of presidency: McCain - Jan 24, 2011
- Meghan McCain Writes On 'Dirty Sexy Politics' - Sep 01, 2010
- President Barack Obama & John McCain Draw In Crayons At The Health Summit - Feb 26, 2010
- Oprah's Comments To 'Parade' Construed As U.S. Is Too Smart To Be Seduced By Sarah Palin's Presidency - Dec 24, 2010
- US Democrat Geraldine passes away, aged 75 - Mar 27, 2011
- Sarah Palin's documentary lacks audience - Jul 26, 2011
- Poll: More than 6 in 10 would not vote for Trump, Palin - Apr 27, 2011
- McCain lauds improving security in Jammu and Kashmir (Lead) - Aug 18, 2011