Kim Jong Un appointed North Korea’s top military commanderJanuary 1st, 2012 - 2:14 pm ICT by IANS
Pyongyang, Jan 1 (IANS) Kim Jong-un, the youngest son of late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il, has been appointed the country’s top military commander, the ruling Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK) has announced.
The announcement comes following a meeting of the central committee of the WPK Friday, Xinhunet.com reported Sunday.
His appointment was according to his father’s wishes, the official KCNA news agency said.
The army and the people of North Korea will carry forward the cause of building a socialist nation under the leadership of Kim Jong-un, a document adopted by WPK’s central committee said.
The document underlines the need to hold Kim Jong-un as “the only centre of unity, cohesion and leadership of the WPK” and defend him politically and ideologically.
It calls upon all party members, the military and the people to “turn sorrow into thousand-fold strength and courage”.
Kim Jong-il, the 69-year-old supreme leader of nuclear-armed North Korea, died from “great mental and physical strain” Dec 17 during a train journey. A funeral ceremony was held at the Plaza of the Kumsusan Memorial Palace where people bid him their final farewell.
On the same day, the UN flew its blue and white flag at half mast at its offices across the world to mourn his death.
- Kim Jong-un declared North Korea's supreme military commander - Dec 31, 2011
- North Korea bids farewell to Kim Jong-il - Dec 28, 2011
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dies of heart attack - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korea holds military parade - Apr 15, 2012
- North Korea mourns Kim Jong-il - Dec 29, 2011
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un gets new party post - Apr 12, 2012
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-il dead, youngest son takes over (Third Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korea confirms mystery woman is leader's wife - Jul 26, 2012
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un promoted to top military rank - Jul 18, 2012
- Dead North Korean leader's son 'great successor': Media - Dec 19, 2011
- Kim Jong-il to be embalmed - Jan 12, 2012
- Kim Jong-un signs order of battle - Aug 27, 2012
- Kim's death rocks South Korea's financial market - Dec 19, 2011
- North Korean leader's son made general - Sep 28, 2010
- Kim Jong-il unanimously reappointed North Korean leader - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: central committee, final farewell, flag at half mast, funeral ceremony, kcna news agency, kim jong il, korean leader, military commander, north korea, north korean leader kim jong il, people of north korea, physical strain, s central, socialist nation, strength and courage, train journey, white flag, workers party, wpk, youngest son