khilesh reverts names of eight UP districtsJuly 23rd, 2012 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 23 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government Monday changed the names of eight districts renamed by the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP).
The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
The districts whose names have been reverted to their original names include Bhimnagar (now Bahjoi), Panchsheelnagar (now Hapur), Jyotiba Phule Nagar (now Amroha), Mahamaya Nagar (now Hathras), Kanshiram Nagar (now Kasganj) and Ramabainagar (now Kanpur Dehat).
Prabudhnagar gets back its original name Shamli.
The name of Chatrapati Shahujinagar has been changed to Gauriganj. It is a part of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s Lok Sabha constituency Amethi.
The cabinet also changed the name of the Chatrapati Sahuji Maharaj Medical University and reverted to its original name, the King George Medical University.
All these were election promises made by the Samajwadi party during the campaign.
BSP supremo and former UP chief minister Mayawati, in her various stints in power, created 15 new districts in UP, naming them after Dalit icons.
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Three die after consuming illicit liquor - Apr 06, 2011
- 15 dead in Uttar Pradesh road mishap - Jun 25, 2012
- Protesters in UP torch vehicles, attack police - Jul 16, 2012
- 12 injured as tree falls on moving train - Jul 12, 2011
- Gadkari condemns Amethi re-naming - Jul 03, 2010
- High Court bars Amethi's name change - Sep 21, 2012
- BSP stages protest rallies against petrol price hike - May 31, 2011
- Police honour man for saving 600 lives on highway - Feb 20, 2011
- Goods train derails in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 09, 2010
- Mayawati woos Muslims, other groups - Dec 17, 2011
- Three Lok Sabha candidates booked for poll code violation - Mar 27, 2009
- Four of family killed in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 04, 2010
- Powers crisis turns into law-and-order scare for UP government - Jul 24, 2012
- Prisoners 'escort' cops to police station - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: akhilesh yadav, bahujan samaj party, cabinet meeting, chief minister, congress, general secretary, Lok Sabha, Mayawati, medical university, rahul gandhi, sabha constituency, Samajwadi Party, stints, uttar pradesh government