Khasi rebel outfit ready for talksAugust 15th, 2012 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, Aug 15 (IANS) The Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC), an outlawed Khasi militant group in Meghalaya, has offered to hold talks with the government.
“We are ready to come to the negotiating table,” HNLC general secretary Cheristerfield Thangkhiew said in a statement Tuesday night.
HNLC, which stages hit-and-run attacks from its hideouts in Bangladesh, also celebrated its 25th raising day Tuesday.
It seeks a sovereign Hynniewtrep homeland in eastern Meghalaya.
Thangkhiew vowed to continue its armed struggle if the government ignored the offer.
HNLC is closely linked to the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) and the Isak-Muivah faction of the National Socialist Council of Nagaland as well as the National Liberation Front of Tripura.
Thangkhiew and Bobby Marwein, the operational head of the armed wing of HNLC, have been hiding in Bangladesh for over two decades.
- Hold talks with rebels, women's group tells Meghalaya - Aug 16, 2012
- Khasi rebel outfit urged to give up armed struggle - May 02, 2010
- Meghalaya rebel leaders send feelers for talks - Feb 18, 2011
- Ceasefire with ANVC extended - Jun 30, 2010
- Talks with HNLC within constitution ambit: Meghalaya minister - Dec 22, 2010
- No compromise on sovereignty: Lyngdoh - Aug 29, 2012
- Hardcore rebel surrenders in Meghalaya - Oct 01, 2010
- Ready for dialogue with outlawed group: Sangma - Aug 16, 2010
- Two armed Khasi rebels arrested in Meghalaya - Jan 26, 2011
- No hand in student leader's killing in Bangladesh: HNLC - May 13, 2010
- Meghalaya rebel group says its leader is in Bangladesh - Sep 03, 2011
- Sangma seeks report on rebel's 'killing' in Bangladesh - Sep 02, 2011
- Meghalaya heightens security ahead of I-Day - Aug 11, 2010
- Top rebel of outlawed Khasi militant outfit arrested - Aug 05, 2010
- Rebels sneak into Meghalaya to disrupt I-Day celebrations: Minister - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: bangladesh, decades, faction, general secretary, hideouts, khasi, meghalaya, militant group, national democratic front, national liberation front, national liberation front of tripura, national socialist council of nagaland, shillong, struggle, tuesday night