Khanduri to be Uttarakhand chief minister again (Lead)September 10th, 2011 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 10 (IANS) Former Uttarakhand chief minister B.C. Khanduri will take over charge of the hill state again, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Nitin Gadkari announced Saturday.
Khanduri will replace Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, who had succeeded him in 2009. Khanduri had become chief minister in 2007 after leading the party back to power.
According to BJP sources, party leader Ravi Shankar Prasad along with state election incharge Rajnath Singh will go to Uttarakhand Sunday where BJP legislators will meet to formally elect a new leader after Nishank resigns.
The BJP’s top leadership met Pokhriyal Saturday and asked him to step down in the wake of corruption charges against him.
Though sources said Pokhriyal was asked to step down over “allegations of corruption”, Gadkari defended Nishank saying “there were no corruption charges against him”.
The BJP parliamentary board met Sep 8 to discuss the need for a change in state leadership.
Sources said the party was not satisfied with Pokhriyal’s performance and thought the alleged corruption cases against him could affect the BJP in the forthcoming assembly election.
Besides BJP president Nitin Gadkari, the Saturday meeting was attended by Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj, Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley, Rajnath Singh, Dharmendra Pradhan and Thawar Chand Gehlot.
- BJP tells Pokhriyal to step down Sunday - Sep 10, 2011
- Khanduri again becomes Uttarkahand chief minister - Sep 11, 2011
- Peaceful polling in Uttarakhand (Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- BJP does not rule out leadership change in Uttarakhand - Sep 09, 2011
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies - Jan 29, 2012
- BJP seeks PM's intervention to save temple - Jul 07, 2012
- Shettar is Karnataka's new chief minister (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Karnataka mess: BJP gambles on getting it right third time (News Analysis) - Jul 10, 2012
- Polling peaceful but slow in Uttarakhand (Second Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Bright sun brings highest turnout in Uttarakhand (Third Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- Yeddyurappa, Pokhriyal miss national executive - Sep 30, 2011
- Punjab, Uttarakhand set to elect new assemblies (Lead) - Jan 29, 2012
- Shettar is Karnataka's new chief minister (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- BJP replaces Gowda with Shettar in Karnataka (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2012
- BJP does better than expected in polls - Mar 06, 2012
Tags: alleged corruption, arun jaitley, assembly election, chand, chief minister, corruption cases, corruption charges, dharmendra, forthcoming assembly, leader of opposition, legislators, Lok Sabha, nitin, party leader, prasad, rajnath singh, rajya sabha, ravi shankar, state election, state leadership