Khaleda Zia slapped with case over undisclosed moneyAugust 8th, 2011 - 11:44 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Aug 8 (IANS) The anti-corruption officials in Bangladesh Monday lodged a police complaint against the country’s main opposition party leader Khaleda Zia after she failed to reveal the source of a portion of the money used in buying a piece of land in Dhaka, Xinhua reported.
The Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) said the Zia Charitable Trust, which Khaleda Zia heads, did not have any known source of income for 12.6 million taka used for buying the land. ($1 equals 70 taka).
The trust bought the land in January 2005 for 65.2 million taka. But the seller received 12.6 million taka more, an ACC official said requesting anonymity. The trust failed to show any valid source for the money, the official added.
“We have accused Khaleda Zia along with five others in the case since she is the chairperson of the trust,” the official said adding the case was filed in a Dhaka police station.
This is the first corruption case against the chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) since Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s Bangladesh Awami League government took over the reigns of the government in January 2009.
Senior BNP spokesman Ruhul Kabir Rizvi has termed the case against Zia, also two-time former prime minister, “politically motivated”. “It is to tarnish the image of the opposition leader,” he said.
- Corruption evidence against Zia, says anti-graft body - Nov 23, 2010
- Dhaka presses graft charges against Khaleda Zia's son - Jul 07, 2010
- Khaleda Zia's son, 29 others indicted in 2004 bombing - Mar 18, 2012
- Bangladesh opposition creating anti-India feelings: Minister - Aug 14, 2011
- Deals with India top Bangladesh opposition's protest agenda - Sep 09, 2010
- Bangladesh's ex-speaker booked for corruption - Dec 29, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition stages mass hunger strike - May 21, 2012
- Chargesheet filed against Khaleda Zia in orphanage fund graft case - Aug 06, 2009
- Bangladesh opposition holds mass rally (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Indian envoy invites Khaleda Zia to meet Manmohan Singh - Sep 05, 2011
- Dhaka wears deserted look ahead of opposition rally - Mar 12, 2012
- Systemic failure blamed for Bangladesh share market crisis - Apr 07, 2011
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Bangladeshi terror group operates despite ban - Sep 15, 2010
- Bangladesh to buy power from India, opposition angered (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
Tags: 6 million, anonymity, bangladesh awami league, bangladesh nationalist party, bangladesh nationalist party bnp, chairperson, charitable trust, corruption case, former prime minister, khaleda zia, main opposition party, minister sheikh hasina, opposition leader, opposition party leader, police complaint, police station, rizvi, taka, valid source, xinhua