Khaleda Zia demands mid-term polls in BangladeshNovember 3rd, 2010 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Nov 3 (IANS) Bangladesh’s opposition leader Khaleda Zia has demanded that Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina should test her popularity by holding a mid-term parliamentary poll.
“The people have already lost their confidence in the government,” Zia, a two-term prime minister, told a lawyer’s forum close to her Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) Tuesday.
Citing a survey report on the Hasina government’s performance, Zia said: “98 percent people favoured holding of mid-term polls.”
“The government is now in an awkward situation. People have shown their no-confidence in this government,” the New Age newspaper quoted her as saying.
Zia alleged that the government was not holding election to the Dhaka city corporation as it feared a repeat of its debacle in the Chittagong city corporation polls in which the Awami League city mayor had lost.
The call for mid-term poll was given earlier this week by the BNP’s secretary general Khandaker Delwar Hossain.
The Daily Star in an editorial said Zia and the BNP had boycotted parliament and that gave no reassurance to the voter, should there be a mid-term poll.
Zia and her Islamist allies lost the last parliamentary poll in December 2008, yielding a whopping two-thirds majority to a Hasina-led alliance.
- Opposition steps up stir against Bangladeshi PM - Feb 07, 2011
- Opposition observes nationwide strike in Bangladesh - Jun 27, 2010
- Bangladesh to buy power from India, opposition angered (Lead) - Jul 27, 2010
- Khaleda threatens agitation against Hasina government - Nov 18, 2010
- Bangladesh's former PM evicted amid protests (Fourth Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Khaleda Zia put under house arrest, says Bangladesh opposition (Second Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- India only friend of Hasina government: Opposition leader - May 13, 2011
- WikiLeaks: India worried over Hasina, Zia - Dec 20, 2010
- Bangladesh's ex-speaker booked for corruption - Dec 29, 2010
- Bangladesh to review its constitution - Jul 21, 2010
- Corruption evidence against Zia, says anti-graft body - Nov 23, 2010
- Stray violence marks nationwide Bangladesh strike (Lead) - Nov 14, 2010
- Bangladesh opposition observes Farakka Day - May 16, 2011
- Bangladesh's opposition lawmakers may resign from parliament - Nov 20, 2010
- Respect opposition, Zia tells rival Hasina (Lead) - Dec 08, 2009
Tags: allies, awami league, awkward situation, bangladesh nationalist party, bangladesh nationalist party bnp, chittagong city corporation, citing a survey, city mayor, daily star, debacle, dhaka city, khaleda zia, minister sheikh hasina, opposition leader, parliamentary poll, prime minister, reassurance, secretary general, survey report, two thirds