Key extracts of Obama’s speechJanuary 21st, 2009 - 1:05 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Jan 20 (IANS) Following are the key extracts of the innaugural speech delivered by US President Barack Obama.· That we are in the midst of a crisis is now well understood. Homes have been lost; jobs shed; businesses shuttered.
· These are the indicators of crisis, subject to data and statistics. Less measurable but no less profound is a sapping of confidence across our land — a nagging fear that America’s decline is inevitable, and that the next generation must lower its sights.
· We have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord.
· The time has come to set aside childish things.
· All are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness.
· We understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned.
· The state of the economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act — not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth.
· We will restore science to its rightful place, and wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost.
· We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories.
· This crisis has reminded us that without a watchful eye, the market can spin out of control — and that a nation cannot prosper long when it favours only the prosperous.
· We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. To all the other people and governments who are watching today … know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity.
· Our power alone cannot protect us nor does it entitle us to do as we please.
· We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers. We cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass.
· To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward based on … mutual respect.
· To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you. The world has changed and we must change with it.
· A man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath.
Tags: barack obama, childish things, christians and muslims, discord, extracts, factories, full measure, greatness, hindus, jews, man woman and child, midst, muslim world, mutual respect, new foundation, new jobs, peace and dignity, pledge, watchful eye, woman and child