Key cabinet decisions of 2011 (2011 in Retrospect)December 27th, 2011 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 27 (IANS) The union cabinet met 32 times this year and its sub committee on economic affairs had 25 meetings to take key decisions aimed at improving governance.
Some important cabinet decisions of 2011 were:
Nov 1 - To ensure transparency in all government procurements, the Public Procurement Policy for Goods produced and services rendered by Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs), including the khadi, village and coir industries, was approved. Earlier, there were complaints of financial misappropriation in government purchases of raw material.
Oct 25 - The National Manufacturing Policy was approved, aiming to create 100 million additional jobs by 2022 and to enhance global competitiveness, domestic value addition, technological depth and environmental sustainability of growth in manufacturing.
Oct 25 - Scheme for creation of National Optical Fibre Network for Broadband connectivity of Panchayats costing Rs.20,000 crore was approved. The project aims to connect the 250,000 panchayats across the country.
July 28 - Constitution of National Social Security Fund for Unorganised Sector Workers to support social security schemes for around 433 million people.
June 23 - Extension of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana to domestic helps, providing cover up to Rs.30,000 in any empanelled hospital anywhere in the country.
May 19 - Below Poverty Line (BPL) Census in rural and urban areas approved. The results of the census will be utilised in the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-13 to 2016-17).
Jan 6 - The centre approved a power policy under which the home state will get half the power generated, while 35 percent will be made available to various agencies, and 15 percent will be at the centre’s disposal.
Some important Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs decisions of 2011:
Oct 25 - Minimum Support Price (MSP) for rabi crops of 2011-12 season to be marketed in 2012-13 in order to boost production was approved.
Aug 30 - Disinvestment of five percent paid up equity of Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd (BHEL) approved.
Aug 4 - A further equity infusion of Rs.1,200 crore in Air India, which is passing through a critical financial crunch, was approved.
March 29 - Rs.378 crore for implementation of GPS Aided GEO Augmented Navigation (GAGAN) project over Indian airspace for seamless navigation was approved.
- Railway budget highlights 7 - Mar 14, 2012
- Prominent hightlights of railway budget for 2012-13 - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 3 - Mar 14, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 9 - Mar 14, 2012
- MSP hiked to boost food production - Oct 25, 2011
- Railway budget highlights 5 - Mar 14, 2012
- 7 mn unorganised sector workers to get pensions - Apr 12, 2012
- Cabinet nod for continuing farmers' loan scheme - Sep 06, 2012
- Prominent highlights of 2012-13 budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 4 - Mar 14, 2012
- Budget highlights 3 - Mar 16, 2012
- Budget highlights 4 - Mar 16, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 8 - Mar 14, 2012
- Budget highlights 8 - Mar 16, 2012
- Railway budget highlights 6 - Mar 14, 2012
Tags: cabinet committee, coir, environmental sustainability, global competitiveness, government procurements, government purchases, key cabinet, national manufacturing, national social security, optical fibre network, poverty line, public procurement policy, rabi crops, rural and urban areas, sector workers, social security fund, social security schemes, union cabinet, value addition, yojana