Kerala’s Onam gesture to migrant labourAugust 23rd, 2012 - 12:11 am ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 22 (IANS) Kerala made a magnanimous gesture Wednesday by deciding to give a free Onam kit to an estimated one million migrants currently working in the state.
“I made this proposal at the weekly cabinet meeting here Wednesday. It was cleared instantly,” said Labour Minister Shibu Baby John.
In the recent years, successive state governments handed out a free Onam kit to below poverty line (BPL) category card holders who are Keralites.
“The inauguration will be done by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on the Aug 25 at Kochi. The kits will be handed over to migrant labourers in their homes. The kit would be the same as that given to BPL category card holders,” added John.
The kit will contain two kg rice, one kg sugar, a tea packet and red chillies. One kit is expected to cost Rs.150.
Migrant labourers mostly from West Bengal, Bihar and northeast states are employed in the construction sector in Kerala, besides doing odd jobs.
- Kerala's Onam thanksgiving for migrants - Aug 24, 2012
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- Rice for Re.1 a kg for Kerala's poor - Aug 27, 2011
- 'Rice politics' becomes major poll issue in Kerala - Mar 11, 2011
- Kerala pays out Rs.100 crore in pension, dole for Onam - Aug 28, 2012
- Kerala to launch virtual classrooms in 34 ITIs - May 14, 2012
- Kerala seeks chartered flights from Middle East - Jun 19, 2012
- 'Take up issue of stranded Keralites in Saudi Arabia' - Oct 19, 2011
- Congress in poll mode in Kerala, plays 'rice' politics - Mar 25, 2011
- Antony campaigns, showers praise on Chandy government - May 29, 2012
- Kerala gets ready for Onam - Aug 18, 2012
- Chandy seeks waiver for quick launch of Air Kerala - Sep 13, 2012
- Kerala showcases opportunities to potential investors (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit launches 'Kerosene Free Delhi' scheme - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: baby john, bihar, cabinet meeting, chandy, chief minister, construction sector, inauguration, kerala, labour minister, magnanimous gesture, migrant labour, migrant labourers, migrants, northeast states, odd jobs, onam, poverty line, shibu, state governments, west bengal