Kerala shuts down to protest petrol price hikeMay 24th, 2012 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 24 (IANS) A statewide shutdown was called by the Left Democratic Front (LDF) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) here Thursday to protest the huge hike in petrol prices.
Both the Left and the BJP protestors will be marching towards the district headquarters and in the capital to the state secretariat to express their protest.
Private vehicles were plying as usual in cities and major towns, but in rural areas of the state, people were cautious about taking out their four-wheelers.
Barring in the capital city, the state-owned transport vehicles were not operating in other cities.
A state-owned bus was stoned by angry protestors in Kollam, about 66 km from here.
With the public transport off the roads, attendances in government and private offices were affected.
The police have been asked to provide security to employees at the Indian Space Research Organisation and Technopark campus.
In the commercial capital Kochi, about 207 km from here, the shutdown affected normal life, with private buses off the roads.
In the hilly district of Idukki, which is a plantation area with numerous tea and rubber estates, the shutdown appeared successful as the workers stayed indoors.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has shot off a letter to the prime minister, the UPA chairperson and the petroleum minister to see that the hike is withdrawn, as it would affect the state very severely.
- Keralites hapless, angry over yet another shutdown - Sep 19, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Chhattisgarh - May 31, 2012
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Shutdown near-total in Mumbai, most of Maharashtra (Second lead) - May 31, 2012
- Shutdown evokes mixed response in Andhra (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Petrol price hike fuels protests, opposition ire (Roundup) - May 24, 2012
- Shutdown hits life in Kerala - Apr 29, 2011
- Buses stoned in Thiruvananthapuram shutdown - Sep 17, 2011
- Shutdown affects life in Punjab (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Trade union strike evokes mixed response in Andhra - Feb 28, 2012
- Telangana shutdown hits normal life - Jul 22, 2011
- Pay for damage to public property to get bail: Court (Lead) - Oct 24, 2011
- Karnataka braces for Thursday shutdown - Sep 19, 2012
- Shutdown hits India's tech hub partially (Lead) - May 31, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, chandy, democratic front, district headquarters, four wheelers, hilly district, indian space research, indian space research organisation, kochi, kollam, ldf, petrol prices, plantation area, price hike, private buses, private offices, private vehicles, rubber estates, state secretariat, transport vehicles