Kerala should guard against religious fundamentalism: RameshApril 20th, 2012 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) Describing Kerala as the “fountainhead” of social harmony, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Friday warned against the danger of the state becoming threatened by religious fundamentalism.
“Kerala is a fountainhead of social harmony but its harmony cannot be taken for granted as religious fundamentalism can always threaten it,” Ramesh said in a session on Kerala’s Experience of New Democratic Initiatives.
The minister marvelled at Kerala’s good record in achieving most of the indicators of human development index without having high economic development in the state.
However, he pointed out that without remittance the state would have been in a very poor shape.
“The remittance cannot be the source of prosperity of the state and it will have to discover the domestic root of economic prosperity,” Ramesh said.
Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, who was present at the session, released the book “A Gracious Voice: Life of Oommen Chandy” authored by senior Congress leader P.C. Chacko.
Ramesh advised that Kerala should embrace economic pragmatism and make itself “hospitable to investors”.
- Jairam Ramesh denies clearance for Kochi cricket stadium - Jun 13, 2011
- Chandy to bat for Kochi IPL - Oct 07, 2011
- Islamic hardliners not serious threat in Kerala: Chandy - Nov 25, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh launches women empowerment scheme in Kerala - Feb 24, 2012
- Chandy off to Delhi to discuss fifth berth controversy - Apr 15, 2012
- Chandy assures transparency in all projects - Sep 12, 2012
- States woo diaspora for investment - Jan 09, 2012
- Chandy invites India Inc to invest in Kerala - May 14, 2012
- Kerala eyes next Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas, 2017 U-17 football - Feb 15, 2012
- Emerging Kerala campaign to be launched in Mumbai - May 13, 2012
- Shipping corporation to bid for proposed Vizhinjam port - Jul 16, 2011
- Kerala unveils draft land acquisition policy - Sep 07, 2011
- Kerala showcases opportunities to potential investors (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Pitroda to mentor Kerala on development - Nov 16, 2011
- Kerala doubles allowances for diaspora - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: chacko, chandy, chief minister, congress leader, democratic initiatives, development minister, economic development, economic prosperity, fountainhead, human development index, investors, jairam ramesh, New Delhi, poor shape, pragmatism, religious fundamentalism, rural development, social harmony, source of prosperity