Kerala school book has frog’s picture in place of GandhiJune 12th, 2008 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
Kasargod (Kerala), June 11 (IANS) A school handbook, which has a picture of frog in place of Mahatma Gandhi, has become a cause of embarrassment for education officials in Kasargod district of Kerala. The handbook, issued to the students of classes 5 to 9 here, has a picture of a green frog corresponding to the date Oct 2. The heading above the picture clearly says ‘Gandhi jayanti’ (the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi) and a quote from Gandhi is printed below the picture.
The goof-up comes at a time when the opposition parties have been alleging that the Left Democratic Front (LDF) government in Kerala has chosen to highlight communist struggles rather than the Indian freedom struggle and communist leaders instead of national icons like Mahatma Gandhi in the new textbooks.
“The curriculum revision carried out this year is politically motivated. All new books denigrate national leaders, while highlighting the role of local political leaders. This should stop,” said K. Velayudhan, the state president of the Government School Teachers’ Union which owes allegiance to the opposition Congress party.
When contacted, the education department authorities said the mistake appeared only in Kasargod district. The printing of the handbook for each of the districts was done locally.
The officials now plan to take back the copies of the book from students. They said they would return the book after sticking Gandhi’s picture over that of frog.
- Lenin replaces Mahatma's name in Tripura textbook: Congress - Apr 25, 2011
- Tripura school book drops Mahatma, Congress plans fast - May 24, 2011
- Tripura to include more details on Mahatma in text books - May 25, 2011
- Government apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row (Second Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Jayalalithaa demands withdrawal of cartoon from NCERT book (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Congress in Kerala may be exulting too soon (Letter from Kerala) - Nov 22, 2010
- Freedom of expression is contextual, says Kapil Sibal - May 14, 2012
- CPI-M leader injured in collision - Aug 18, 2011
- Digital textbooks enter US varsity - Feb 28, 2012
- Sibal apologises after Ambedkar cartoon row rocks parliament (Third Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Gujarat bans book on Gandhi, Modi calls it perverse (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Tamil Nadu parties demand cartoon's removal from textbook (Second Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Sonia's first appearance post surgery, visits Rajghat - Oct 02, 2011
- Dalits angry with derogatory Ambedkar cartoon: Athawale (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
- Kerala observes shutdown to demand endosulfan ban (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: birth anniversary, communist leaders, curriculum revision, democratic front, education department, education officials, gandhi jayanti, goof, government school, green frog, indian freedom struggle, kasargod, mahatma gandhi, national icons, national leaders, opposition congress party, opposition parties, political leaders, state president, teachers union