Kerala opposition demands Vijayan’s prosecutionMay 2nd, 2009 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 2 (IANS) Leader of Opposition in Kerala assembly Oommen Chandy Saturday asked Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan to overlook the state advocate general’s opinion and give a nod to prosecute Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan in the SNC Lavalin corruption case.
Advocate General C.P. Prasad reportedly submitted a sealed letter to the chief minister’s office earlier in the day, saying the government need not give the sanction for Vijayan’s prosecution as the charges against him were not clear.
“The advocate general failed in his constitutional obligations and Achuthanandan should overlook the advice and give the nod for the prosecution of Vijayan,” said Chandy.
Vijayan has been accused of wrongly awarding contracts to Canadian company SNC Lavalin for renovation of two hydro-power projects 12 years ago when he was the state power minister. Vijayan has been named ninth accused in the case.
Bharatiya Janata Party state unit president P.K. Krishna Das also lashed at the advocate general for “functioning as a CPI-M supporter”.
“It is a shame that he has given such an opinion favouring Vijayan and he should be ousted from his post,” Das told reporters here.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in February wrote to Kerala Governor R.S. Gavai seeking permission to prosecute Vijayan. According to rules, the governor’s permission is necessary to prosecute a minister or a former minister.
On Feb 4 the state government sought legal opinion on the CBI’s plea to prosecute Vijayan.
- Opposition meets Kerala governor, wants Lavalin case speeded up - Mar 27, 2009
- Will Kerala government sanction Vijayan's prosecution? - May 04, 2009
- Kerala opposition asks Achuthanandan to prosecute Vijayan - Mar 05, 2009
- My report does not protect Vijayan: Kerala advocate general - May 05, 2009
- Is Kerala CM under pressure to quit for opposing clean chit to Vijayan? - May 08, 2009
- Opposition calls for Kerala shutdown for Vijayan's prosecution - May 06, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- CBI gets nod to prosecute Vijayan, CPI-M to fight case (Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Opposition accuses Kerala Govt of leaking out cabinet decision, stages walkout - Sep 09, 2009
- CBI files chargesheet against CPI-M leader Vijayan - Jun 11, 2009
- Kerala seeks legal opinion on CBI plea to prosecute Vijayan - Feb 04, 2009
- SNC Lavalin graft case: Kerala Governor sanctions CBI probe of Vijayan - Jun 07, 2009
- Governor to take decision on SNC Lavalin graft case - May 12, 2009
- Governor allows prosecution of CPI-M leader Pinarayi Vijayan (Second Lead) - Jun 07, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
Tags: advocate general, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chandy, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constitutional obligations, corruption case, hydro power, krishna das, leader of opposition, legal opinion, pinarayi vijayan, power minister, prasad, snc lavalin, state advocate, state secretary, thiruvananthapuram