Kerala looking into reports of Taliban style courtsJuly 27th, 2010 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, July 27 (IANS) Kerala is looking into the veracity of media reports suggesting that Taliban style courts are functioning in the state, Home Minister Kodiyeri Balakrishnan told the state assembly Tuesday.
He said this in response to a submission raised by Congress legislator Aryadan Mohammed.
Mohammed said the first such report of a Taliban style court appeared in Veekshenam daily this month and was followed by a series of reports in Mathrubhoomi daily.
“The Popular Front of India (PFI) is primarily responsible for such Taliban model courts which I believe are functioning across the state. I will not go back on my fight against such forces, neither will my party. Organisations such as PFI, NDF (National Development Front), PDP (Peoples Democratic Party) and Jamat-e-Islami are all one and the same,” said Mohammed.
Replying to this, Balakrishnan said it was reported that these so called courts handle family issues, boundary disputes and also issues concerning faith.
“But the government is yet to receive any complaint about such things. Whatever happens, we will not allow any such thing to happen. It has come to light that under the PFI, there are about 20 feeder organisations functioning and the government is looking into the functioning of the Imam Council also,” said Balakrishnan.
- Decision to ban radical group after central report: Kerala - Jul 22, 2010
- No request from Kerala to ban PFI: Chidambaram - Jul 29, 2010
- 'Catholic priests, Muslim groups pushing extremism in Kerala' - Jun 04, 2010
- Nawaz sees conspiracies in Pakistan apex court's defiance - Mar 25, 2012
- Pakistani court asks parties to expel criminals - Oct 06, 2011
- Why should we be banned, asks Kerala Muslim leader - Jul 14, 2010
- Kerala chief minister out of poll fray (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Congress blames Left for growth of Kerala terror groups - Nov 01, 2008
- Davis's release challenged in Pakistan court - Mar 17, 2011
- Police unearth CDs of Taliban like terror module in Kerala - Jul 10, 2010
- This Hyderabad mosque is more than a place of worship - Aug 12, 2012
- At least 21 dead in blast during rally in northwestern Pakistan (Update) - Apr 19, 2010
- At least 25 dead in blast during rally in northwestern Pakistan - Apr 19, 2010
- At least 21 dead in blast during rally in northwestern Pakistan - Apr 19, 2010
- Congress raps CPI-M for questioning its secular credentials - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: balakrishnan, boundary disputes, congress, democratic party, faith, feeder, home minister, imam, India, jamat e islami, legislator, mathrubhoomi daily, mohammed, pfi, popular front, state assembly, submission, taliban, veracity