Kerala legislators all set for pay hikeMarch 20th, 2012 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 20 (IANS) A bill for increasing the pay and perks of legislators and pension of former members was presented Tuesday in the Kerala assembly by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy.
The bill, based on the recommendations of the Justice (Retd) Rajendra Babu Commission, was sent to the committee concerned and will come back to the house on Thursday, when it would finally get the nod. The panel’s report was submitted to assembly Speaker G. Karthikeyan in October.
According to the report, the 141 legislators will soon see the near-doubling of their pay, from the present Rs.20,300 to a recommended Rs.40,250 per month.
Kerala legislators will, however, continue to be lowly paid as compared to their counterparts in Punjab, Delhi, and Andhra Pradesh, who all get a salary of more than Rs.50,000.
The recommendations also include hiking the monthly allowance from Rs.300 to Rs.8,500, and the constituency allowance will go up from Rs.5,000 to Rs.6,500.
A sum of Rs.6,500 has been included as driver-allowance for the first time besides an information allowance of Rs.1,000. The office expenses have been raised to Rs.7,500.
The last revision took place in 2008.
- Finally, Kerala legislators all set for pay hike - Oct 14, 2011
- Kerala house adjourned over murder controversy - Jun 13, 2012
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Karthikeyan to contest for Speaker's post - May 30, 2011
- I will be an impartial speaker: Karthikeyan - Jun 22, 2011
- Steps taken to tackle spread of fever in Kerala: Chandy - Jun 21, 2012
- Huge salary hike, laptops, i-Pads, phones for Andhra legislators - Mar 29, 2011
- Kerala opposition not to take part in video tape re-examination - Aug 10, 2011
- G. Karthikeyan of Congress elected Kerala speaker (Lead) - Jun 02, 2011
- Mizoram lawmakers' pay hike causes heartburns in Tripura - Aug 01, 2011
- Right to Service becomes law in Kerala - Jul 25, 2012
- Chandy agrees to assembly footage scrutiny - Jul 27, 2011
- Kerala assembly pays homage to T.M. Jacob - Nov 02, 2011
- Protests against police firing rock Kerala assembly - Oct 11, 2011
- Kerala opposition demands emergency assembly session - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, assembly speaker, babu, chief minister, constituency, counterparts, former members, karthikeyan, kerala assembly, legislators, nod, office expenses, oommen chandy, punjab, rajendra, rs 1, rs 50, rs 6, rs 8, salary