Kerala IUML legislator named in murder caseJune 11th, 2012 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 11 (IANS) P.K. Basheer, a first-time legislator of the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) that is a partner in Kerala’s ruling coalition, has been named the sixth accused in a twin murder that took place Sunday night in Malappuram district.
According to the police, brothers K. Azad and K. Abubacker were hacked to death by a gang at the Arikode market in Malappuram district.
Despite being given medical attention, the two passed away in the wee hours of Monday.
The police have registered a case based on the statements given by the deceased’s family members who have said that Basheer was part of a conspiracy behind the murder.
Basheer had made an inflammatory speech earlier this month that the IUML would hit back against those who had killed A. Rehman, an IUML activist in January after a clash erupted at a football tournament in Malappuram.
The two brothers who were killed Monday night were the accused in the Rehman murder and are currently out on bail.
Basheer, who was present in the assembly Monday on the first day of its current session, said he was ready for any probe into the twin murders.
“All what we want is to see that the truth should come out and will cooperate with any probe,” said Basheer, who is the son of a former IUML leader and minister Seethi Haji.
The case comes at a time when the Oomen Chandy government has vowed to unravel the murder case of former CPI-M leader T.P. Chandrasekheran.
- Kerala assembly stalled, opposition demands IUML member's arrest - Jun 12, 2012
- Kerala assembly again disrupted over twin murders - Jun 14, 2012
- Kerala house adjourned over murder controversy - Jun 13, 2012
- Chandy rebuts Left claims of police torture in murder case - Jun 08, 2012
- CPI(M) leaders accused in murder of former party leader - Aug 13, 2012
- Slain Kerala leader's wife seeks CBI probe - Sep 04, 2012
- Achuthanandan too wants CBI to probe former colleague's murder - Sep 06, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M in tight spot over murder probe - Sep 09, 2012
- 'IUML candidates spent most money on poll campaign' - Jun 25, 2011
- Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail in murder case (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M sacks three local party workers - Aug 17, 2012
- Action sought against another CPI-M leader - Jun 26, 2012
- Probe into call details leak in murder case - Jul 14, 2012
- Achuthanandan speaks out against party - Jun 01, 2012
- Don't spy on Muslims, says Achuthanandan (Lead) - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: activist, azad, clash, conspiracy, CPI, family members, football tournament, medical attention, monday night, murder case, murders, muslim league, oomen chandy, rehman, time legislator, truth, two brothers, wee hours