Kerala High Court unseats CPI-M legislatorMay 6th, 2008 - 5:12 pm ICT by admin
Kochi, May 6 (IANS) The Kerala High Court Tuesday unseated Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) legislator M.J. Jacob who had defeated veteran United Democratic Front (UDF) leader T.M. Jacob in the April 2006 assembly polls. The single bench of Justice Thottathil B. Radhakrishnan, after hearing a petition filed by T.M. Jacob’s agent A. Narayanan, ruled that M.J. Jacob had personally attacked the UDF leader through leaflets which amounted to character assassination.
The court also denied a stay on the verdict for a period of one month so as to enable M.J. Jacob to file an appeal in the apex court of the country.
“I will certainly appeal in the Supreme Court,” M.J. Jacob told reporters after the verdict.
T.M. Jacob, who had contested the polls from Ernakulam district’s Piravom constituency as a Democratic Indira Congress-Karunakaran (DIC-K) candidate, was happy with the verdict.
“This is a lesson to those who resort to a vicious and malicious campaign during election time,” he said.
His defeat then had surprised many as he had been a legislator from 1977 till 2006. He also served as minister for 14 years until he was denied a berth when Oommen Chandy became chief minister in 2004.
T.M. Jacob, who heads Kerala Congress (Jacob), then became one of Chandy’s adversaries and allied his party with former chief minister K. Karunakaran’s DIC-K. After the poll defeat, he parted ways with Karunakaran and rejuvenated his own party and has now returned to the Congress-led UDF.
- In Kerala by-election, it is Chandy versus Achuthanandan - Mar 09, 2012
- Congress-led UDF wins Kerala bypoll - Mar 21, 2012
- UDF wins Kerala by-election (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Stage set for Kerala assembly by-election - Mar 16, 2012
- High voter turnout in Piravom by-poll in Kerala - Mar 17, 2012
- Piravom by-election March 18, first acid test for UDF government - Feb 17, 2012
- Anup Jacob's mother delighted at his by-poll win - Mar 21, 2012
- Record polling in Kerala by-election (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Kerala minister Jacob dies in hospital - Oct 31, 2011
- Caste considerations at play as Chandy mulls cabinet expansion (Kerala Newsletter) - Apr 07, 2012
- Kerala assembly pays homage to T.M. Jacob - Nov 02, 2011
- Battle lines drawn for Kerala by-election - Nov 21, 2011
- Chandy to expand cabinet, IUML gets fifth berth - Apr 12, 2012
- Congress scores in Karnataka, Gujarat, mauled in Andhra (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- Kerala assembly adjourns to mourn minister's death - Oct 31, 2011
Tags: adversaries, apex court, assembly polls, berth, chandy, character assassination, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constituency, CPI, democratic front, election time, ernakulam district, indira, j jacob, k karunakaran, legislator, narayanan, radhakrishnan